shellback

Users who are viewing this thread

schoenherr

Reaction score
I am having trouble with the checkvalve I think thats what it might be called. When the water runs the pump only runs when I turn it on manually.
What does anyone suggest?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't think that is the result of a bad checkvalve...

There is a pressure switch that (normally, anyways) turns the pump on and off. This could be shot, or the pipe going to it could be plugged so it can't sense the pressure changes. How do you turn it on manually? Some pressure switches have a low-pressure cutout - if the pressure gets too low (like where the pump is pumping air because the well water level got too low), it requires a manual reset.

If this is the case, it could be you litereally are running out of water, or the bladder tank's pressure is set incorrectly (too high). It should be set 2# less than the turn-on pressure setting. You can test this with an air pressure gauge - shut the pump off, open a faucet, let the water run until it stops, then check the pressure on the tank. If water comes out it is shot. If not, adjust it to the proper pressure and see what happens.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
You probably have a slug of lint down around the impeller. May need to drop the pump to get at it.

schoenherr

Reaction score
When the pump is plug in it is always running but if I understand the way it should work is that the waterpressure should turn the pump on to drain out the water out of the sink & turn off when it is drained or am I misunderstanding the proper way it works. Thank You for answers.

Jack

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
The wad of lint will prevent the water from draining out. That also keeps the automatic from working. From the way I read your post, that's where I would start looking. I know you would like an easier solution, but you have to start somewhere.

Shellback says to put a close nip and an "iron pipe" check (brass) valve and a union then connect to the drain. Break the union then undo the 11/2" jam nut from the laundry tub and have a go at it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks