Sharkbite

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
Never used these quick fittings before -- not a sharkbite but used another brand. No leaks but I'm amazed the (copper) pipe can turn ? So to keep it steady in a clamp, some strong tape or something ?

These things actually work ? Had mine installed for 24 hours now -- just 35 lbs of pressure.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
No need to keep it from turning - regarding maintain the seal. The sharkbite fitting uses O-rings to make the seal.
Unless you have another reason for keeping pipe from moving (like something attached to pipe) you can leave it alone.
Personally I don't trust the fitting to last (however I have no data to suggest it won't last). I don't like the idea of an o-ring seal on a "slip over pipe" connection.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you need t0 stabilize things, a fitting like that isn't a great choice! You might get lucky if you can find a place to use a support clamp. Plus, they cost usually at least 10x more than a soldered joint, but that assumes you have the tools and do not have to buy them, or if you don't, you feel you can use them again later to help spread the cost. It doesn't take many joints soldered together to pay for the torch, solder, flux, and some emery cloth or a pipe/fitting cleaner tool.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can not imagine where I would use a sharkbite. soldering a joint is so quick and easy, and so secure that using an expensive shortcut just doesn't make sense. I you don't know how to sweat a joint, it would only take 10 minutes to learn and practice with a few fittings and pieces of pipe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are places you really don't want to put a torch...there are places where you can't always get all of the water out to then solder things, or if you could, it would take a very long time that is problematic. But, the vast majority of the time, it's just a quicker, but expensive option.

Keep in mind that since the seal is by an O-ring, you must make sure the end of the pipe doesn't have any burrs on it before you push the fitting on, or you can slice the O-ring and not get a good seal.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
They're better than you would think. I have seen submersible pumps hung on Pex with sharkbite connectors.

Mar3232

Reaction score
I had to use it because the pipe was wet and would have taken forever to drain. So far so good. Certainly easy to use. I put some VHB tape on the inside of a clamp to keep it steady.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks