Sharkbite acceptable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Albanese

Reaction score
Is using a Sharkbite cap and a Sharkbite to convert from copper to PEX an acceptable solution for joints that will not be accessible after the job is done?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
From their website.

Push-to-connect design makes for quicker install times and fewer installation errors. Compatible with PEX, copper, CPVC, PE-RT and HDPE pipe. Transition fittings available for PVC and polybutylene. No special tools, crimping, glue or soldering required. Approved for underground and behind-the-wall applications.

push-fittings-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Albanese

Reaction score
From their website.

Push-to-connect design makes for quicker install times and fewer installation errors. Compatible with PEX, copper, CPVC, PE-RT and HDPE pipe. Transition fittings available for PVC and polybutylene. No special tools, crimping, glue or soldering required. Approved for underground and behind-the-wall applications.
Thanks for the reply. I was looking for the opinion of some professionals. In your experience, is there any reason not to use them?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most pro's prefer pretty much anything else. That being said, during a Fieldwork meeting with a table full of plumbers, one of the owners said he preferred installing Sharkbite stops on PEX pipe. He didn't mention what he was using inside the walls. I would expect that like most of us, he was using expansion or crimp fittings for that.
When I use a push fitting like that, it's mainly in an accessible location. Almost never hidden for me.

They are nice going from PB to PEX or copper.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most pro's prefer pretty much anything else. That being said, during a Fieldwork meeting with a table full of plumbers, one of the owners said he preferred installing Sharkbite stops on PEX pipe. He didn't mention what he was using inside the walls. I would expect that like most of us, he was using expansion or crimp fittings for that.
When I use a push fitting like that, it's mainly in an accessible location. Almost never hidden for me.

They are nice going from PB to PEX or copper.

exposed locations I'm pretty comfortable like a CPVC angle stop or PEX .

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
At the beginning of the previous century, there were people who wouldn't buy a Model T over a horse. I might have been one of those guys.. I tend to be wary of new tech for things that are meant to be essentially permanent.

Sharkbites are approved for behind walls, but to be honest, I don't even like the idea of copper ProPress over sweating the joint. I just don't like the idea of any pressurized water connection relying exclusively on an O-Ring for sealing.

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm alittle skeptic on Victaulic in my gut but trust it anyway its very proven. On CPVC stub outs old ones that I fear brittle I use a push fit x mip adapter with IPS angle stop , under cabinet might not be the prettiest I'd go with a pushfit angle stop likely on a W/C ( more pleasing to eye)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks