Shared Drain Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

walker lutz

Reaction score
lutz-1.jpg

I am adding a shower to my bathroom that will be to the left of the bathtub where the new drain is.
So my question is will this work? I would remove the existing vent. Would the new vent work to vent the bathtub and shower. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

walker lutz

Reaction score
I would be tying into the existing drain so both the shower and tub would be sharing a drain and vent.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With few exceptions, you need a vent for each trap. Do not think an inspector would approve your layout! You also need to abide by the minimum sizing...a shower in the USA requires a minimum of a 2" drain line, you can use a 1.5" drain line for a tub. The distance from the trap to the vent depends on the size of the line, and on a 2" drain, maximum is 5' and gets shorter as the pipe gets smaller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks