Shared Artisian Well Electric Consumption

Users who are viewing this thread

invisible-man

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope someone can help,

We share an Artisian well with a neighbor (quite common I know) it appears that the water supply splits under the ground, then runs to each of our properties......our property has the pressure switch and bladder tank, our property also supplies the electric to run the well pump.....

A few months ago the well pumps switch stayed on for three months leaving me with a huge electricity bill.

Also, another problem, I cannot winterize fully in winter as I have to leave the well ready to use for our neighbors, this being leaving the pressure switch pressururized etc etc, this leads to other problems of having to heat our basement.

I am trying to find out if this is the standard or only way of setting up a shared well, one pump, one electricity supply etc....or is there another way of setting the shared well up so that each property are in control of their own water and electricity supply, electricity supply at least......or a fairer setup if you like?

Many thanks, much appreciated

Speedbump

Reaction score
Two pumps, two tanks, two pressure switches with electric from each home. One well shared. Then of coarse you will need a place for these pumps and tanks etc.

This is all assuming two pumps can be retrofitted to this well that we know nothing about.

invisible-man

Reaction score
Two pumps, two tanks, two pressure switches with electric from each home. One well shared. Then of coarse you will need a place for these pumps and tanks etc.

This is all assuming two pumps can be retrofitted to this well that we know nothing about.

Do the pumps go above one another?

Sounds expensive....any guidance on price?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pumps

Unless it is a very large well casing, you cannot fit 2 pumps into it. Even if one would fit above the other, you still have to deal with the pipe from the bottom one. You could create a very complex switching system in which either house could start the pump according to need, and then lock out the other house's electrical supply until the first one's demand was satisfied. Where did all that water go if the pump was running for month's on end?

invisible-man

Reaction score
Unless it is a very large well casing, you cannot fit 2 pumps into it. Even if one would fit above the other, you still have to deal with the pipe from the bottom one. You could create a very complex switching system in which either house could start the pump according to need, and then lock out the other house's electrical supply until the first one's demand was satisfied. Where did all that water go if the pump was running for month's on end?

Thanks hj

Sounds as though this would be cheaper than the first reply, any idea of price for this way?

Hmmm, in regard to where the water went, we are the lower of the 2 properies with the artisian well between, we do get plenty of water in our sump pump throughout the year (comes in the side of the sump via pipe), don't know if this could be some kind of overflow from the well.....property was not occupied during the time of the well pump staying on, spring time (holiday home), during this time according to neighbors checking, the basement floor was wet........

Now because I have only owned the property for 18 months or so, not sure if this could have been caused by the pump staying on or natural spring time weather conditions causing this........During the summer the sump empties every 10 minutes or so but apparently at this time of continous running well pump, the sump was continously emptying....

Would love to find out if the Artisian well has an overflow under the ground somewhere.....was also not sure if a Artisian well pump was to run continous whether water would have to come out of the well or not.

Sorry so many questions, love to have some answers !!!

Speedbump

Reaction score
If your pump runs for over 20 minutes without moving any water, it will nuke. You must have water going somewhere if the pump didn't shut off.

Do you know what kind of pump you have? Jet or submersible? Do you know what size the well is?

Artesian wells do not necessarilly flow. Artesian means the well has a static water level.

invisible-man

Reaction score
If your pump runs for over 20 minutes without moving any water, it will nuke. You must have water going somewhere if the pump didn't shut off.

Do you know what kind of pump you have? Jet or submersible? Do you know what size the well is?

Artesian wells do not necessarilly flow. Artesian means the well has a static water level.

Hi, speedbump

Unfortunately, do not have that information, did try and look at the local records a few months back but could not find any information.....it is a submersible as it is not above ground, only a couple of feet, about 4" - 6" round with an offset shape on one side (silver color cap).

Speedbump

Reaction score
Yes a written agreement would be a great idea.

The pipe sticking up must be a pitless adaptor, so the well does not flow.

invisible-man

Reaction score
Yes a written agreement would be a great idea.

The pipe sticking up must be a pitless adaptor, so the well does not flow.

How come the pump did not burn out I wonder?

I was thinking that there maybe an overflow underground from the well straight into our sump as it has a plastic fitting...would this be possible do you think or not?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Nope, the well and the sump have nothing in common. It's hard to tell why the pump didn't burn up, it should have unless water was running somewhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks