Sharbite fittings - leaks from teeth marks after making & breaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
That should be SHARKbite fittings. Wish I could edit the title...

I just cut away some pinholed copper and inserted CPVC in the gap. In the process of fitting the whole thing, I had to make & break a Shark slip connector a couple times. It leaked, and I can see the gouges in the CPVC.

In order to disassemble the whole jigsaw, I had to remove a Shark connector from the left end copper "stub" and also the slip connector from the right side copper "stub."

I can cut new CPVC to make sure its smooth, but I can't cut the copper back anymore.

The copper on the right side has some tooth marks -- shiny copper lines on the old tubing; they don't look deep at all

So are they going to leak?

I have nothing better to do tonight than give it a try, even though getting this together is a real jigsaw puzzle even using Shark connectors -- due to interferences it only fits together in one sequence, piece by piece..

Maybe I can reverse the slip connector so the slip side is over the tooth marks; maybe it seals further into the connector...

So far I don't see the advantage of Sharks over compression fittings.

EDIT: I wonder if the tooth marks on the copper happened when I made the connection. They only give you one "removal tool" and you use that on the slip side when making it. If I had used a second one on the copper side at the same time when making it, maybe the marks would not have occurred. But in that case, the marks don't cause a leak...

EDIT 2: Nope, not leaking.

But I discovered that the inner plastic sleeve on the fittings will fall downwards and prevent the pipe from being inserted. If you muscle it, the sleeve can get mangled. I used an awl to cram it into a nearly centered position and make sure it was stuck there.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you don't press in the locking ring enough it will make gouges when you pull it apart. Gouges = Leaks.

AcidWater

Reaction score
Pliers give less leverage, especially when your hand is up in the overhead. And when the pipe moves, would probably gouge the tube.

I recall reading that the insert can be removed for some purposes, but the packaging says nothing about it. Removable for copper only? What about CPVC?

The slip side of the slip connector has no sleeve to begin with.

vlee1973

Reaction score
What happens when you don't remove the sleeve when attaching the sharkbite to cooper? I'm asking because I did it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks