Shallow Well/Pump trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

OBXpumper

Reaction score
I hand drilled a well (2 in, galvanized steel with a 4ft stainless well point) 24ft, about 2 years ago. The well then sat for that time while I saved up for the rest of the project. I then hooked up a utilitec 1hp irrigation jet pump. I first used 1 1/2 in intake pipe. I have 3 zones pumping 4 heads each. This is the outer banks and we have nothing but sand.
The Problem: I have it run through a timer and a relay (both orbit). Everything cuts on fine. When I prime it, it isn't loosing any water. When I cut it on, the water from the check valve (at top of well) to the pump flows to the heads. Then the water stalls at the top of the pump. The pressure rises slowly to 10 then 15. Then suddenly it has 30-40 psi and runs like a champ, for 5 seconds. Then it stalls again, well running and water gurgleing at top of pump intake pipes. this goes on every 5 minutes like clockwork.

The water level is 6ft under the ground surface, leaving approx. 18 ft of filled well pipe. I have the intake pipe all the way to 22 feet, leaving 2ft at the bottom. I have flushed the system several times with house hose, replaced all intake piping, including downsizing to 1 1/4 in intake pipes. I have checked for air leaks. I am at a loss. All that I can think is my intake pipe is too long for the pump. But it is only really having to lift 6 ft to surface. Is my well shot?

OBXpumper

Reaction score
oh, and should I try lighting off a 9mm round down the tube to see if that will clear any possible clog? I read that somewhere..

Reach4

Reaction score
I have no experience with a system like this, but that sounds to me as if you might be pumping water faster than the pipe can refill.

OBXpumper

Reaction score
I was afraid of that.
im at a junction of do I drive a new well, or try to send this one deeper, or pull it up some in hopes of better resting soil.

Reach4

Reaction score
How long does it take your current setup to fill a 5 gallon bucket?

OBXpumper

Reaction score
I haven't tried the bucket test, however, I doubt it would run continuously enough to fill it. It would fill it after a few cycles of what I described. but not a straight up flow. I DK

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are thinking it would take 15 or 20 minutes rather than 1 minutes. I suggest entering sand point gpm in the search box above. It may be that you need to add a ball valve to the output pipe to restrict the flow. It may be that you need a different well.

Somebody with experience in such things may be around later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks