Shallow well pump/tank issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Swamp

Reaction score
I have a shallow well with a 20 gallon tank and a 1/2 HP Myers jet pump. My water went out and long story short the pump's impellor was broken off. I had the pump rebuilt and re-installed it. My water is working again but I am getting a lot of air from the faucets, and especially washing machine and toilets. This has been going on since I re-installed the pump...a few days now. The water can be off for hours and as soon as I flush a toilet the pump will kick on. I'm inclined to believe maybe the tank's bladder is bad. I have read the thread on tank maintenance but would like to know what steps I should take to diagnose my problem. Also, during the repair I replace a 16" piece of galvanized pipe and I can smell the oil that was used in threading the pipe when I run my hot water only. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The best way to check the tank is to drain the water from it and measure the air pressure at the schrader valve on the top of the tank. If the air pressure is not close to the pressure switch's cut-in pressure, the tank bladder has leaked. The bladder pressure should be set to 2 psi less than the cut-in pressure. (38 psi if the switch is set to turn on at 40)

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Air in the suction!

You shouldn't have to reprime the pump after doing the tank air pressure test unless the water bleeds back into the well while the pump is off.

I doubt that your tank is causing your air problem!

Picking up air in the system indicates to me that there is an air leak somewhere between the well and the pump! Occasionally a suction line will suck air in but will not leak water out when the pump is off. Especially when there is a second check valve at the pump intake (suction).

Locate the leak and the excess air in the system should stop!

Swamp

Reaction score
Thanks forum. No air leak that I have found. However, the tank had 12 psi. Do I presume a weak tank caused the pump to cycle on/off more frequently eventually busting the impellor. Or does the survey say there still may be an air leak between the well and the rebuilt pump.

This seems messed up to me...a friend(plumber?) did it. He adjusted the pump so that it is coming on at 18 psi and off at 38. Still 20 psi between.

History
After re-install the pump wouldn't shut off...called pump rebuild site....they have buddy on phone adjust pump till it shut off.....then we ran it a cycle. Seemed fine except for the air. We thought it was from the water being off a few days. He left and the air hasn't.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The valve stem in the schrader valve stem could be leaking air.

Let's look at it this way, you have this air in the water, which is much more than is in the pressure tank but, it very probably is not coming from the pressure tank. Where do you think it is coming from if not an air leak at a fitting in the water line from the pump back to the well and down to the water line in the well?

Suction air leaks can be tough to find, so the best way is to suspect all fittings and tighten each one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks