Shallow well pump problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew sharpe

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Have a dug well. The 1/2 hp shallow well pump we had bit the dust. Went and bought a new 3/4 hp pump. Hooked the new pump up the same way as the old one but when I turn it on the water runs and then after a few minutes goes to a trickle. Then when you turn faucet off for a few minutes you have water again for a few minutes. Checked for leaks there is none. I don't have it hooked to a pressure tank but the old one wasn't either. With faucets off the pump still intermittently runs. I'm lost. Appreciate the help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Went and bought a new 3/4 hp pump. Hooked the new pump up the same way as the old one but when I turn it on the water runs and then after a few minutes goes to a trickle.
  1. How far vertically is it from the top of the pump to the water level?
  2. How much higher is the top of the new pump compared to the old pump?
  3. Do you notice air in your water?

I don't have it hooked to a pressure tank but the old one wasn't either. With faucets off the pump still intermittently runs.
You need a pressure tank if the pump is controlled by a pressure switch.

Andrew sharpe

Reaction score
  1. How far vertically is it from the top of the pump to the water level?
  2. How much higher is the top of the new pump compared to the old pump?
  3. Do you notice air in your water?

You need a pressure tank if the pump is controlled by a pressure switch.

It's a single wide trailer. The pump is underneath the trailer. So the top of the pump is only about a foot above the water level..and only has to go another 2 foot to the faucets. No air in the water. Last pump had a pressure switch and we didn't have a pressure tank attached..used to have a pressure tank a while ago but always froze solid even with heating coils so we removed it.

Andrew sharpe

Reaction score
New pump and old pump are the same height..bought new connections that matched to old one..thought it was gonna be a simple, hook up lines, prime it and water..but instead been under there all weekend scratching my head

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks