Shallow well pump lift ability?

Users who are viewing this thread

donmcc

Reaction score
I have a shallow well pump, located in the house, which is built on slab. I understand that the lifting ability of the average pump is 25 to 29 feet. Am considering laying a new supply line from the well to the house, but to avoid cutting concrete, want to enter the front of the house, go up 8 feet, across a room, and back down again to the pump.

Will the temporary lift of 8 feet affect the pump's operation, or will the subsequent down section of the pipe offset that initial 8 foot lift, so the pump will operate as if the vertical sections were not there?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The problem is air. Air will accumulate in the high spot and it will be impossible to keep prime. Pipe needs a gradual increase in height up to the pump, which should be at the high point of the suction line.

donmcc

Reaction score
Shallow well lift - air

Valveman,

Thanks for your quick reply. Your answer seems to imply it's not possible to keep all air out of the line, even if all connections are tight. Is that a good interpretation?

Your explanation of a gradual incline might explain why my existing line starts at the well 3 feet down. That's well below the freeze depth here. I imagine by the time it reaches the house, it's about 2 feet deep.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even without a leak, air will separate from the water and accumulate in the high spots. When there is enough air in the high spot, it will gulp through, and cause your pump to loose prime.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with that. Air takes a long time to come out of suspension under pressure and probably takes a long time under vacuum as well. Either way, once primed, it should stay primed even with the vertical loop. What I'm not sure of is if it would act the same way as water does going up to my solar panels. You have to push it up to get it there, but then when it comes back down; does the fall offset the up completely? I think because of friction etc, it's not totally going to offset the push up.

Either way, it's a great question and I would like to know the scientific answer.

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I have always read that a jet pump can't suck from more than 25' at sea level, and you should always want to err on the conservative side bcause the static water level can vary.

This might work IF you primed both ways at the high spot above the ceiling but, I don't think you'll like the results of working a jet pump at its maximum.

You don't say what diameter well but if possible, I'd put a 1/2 hp 10-13 gpm submersible in the well.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I have a shallow well pump, located in the house, which is built on slab. I understand that the lifting ability of the average pump is 25 to 29 feet. Am considering laying a new supply line from the well to the house, but to avoid cutting concrete, want to enter the front of the house, go up 8 feet, across a room, and back down again to the pump.

Will the temporary lift of 8 feet affect the pump's operation, or will the subsequent down section of the pipe offset that initial 8 foot lift, so the pump will operate as if the vertical sections were not there?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

No it won't work unless this is a two pipe jet pump since 29 + 8 = 37 feet (25 is the recommended cutoff but it cannot exceed 32).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lift

AIr pressure, which makes a shallow well pump work, can only lift the water about 27' as a practical limit, and that is to the point where would have to go horizontal or drop down again. The closer you get to the 27' point the less water it will deliver. As I told a contractor one time who wanted to suck a liquid to the floors of a high rise as the building progressed, "You can pump it to the moon, but you can only suck it 27 feet".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks