Shallow well pump issues

Users who are viewing this thread

veggedout

Reaction score
Ok so gutted a house in November, didn’t drain jet pump in crawl space, housing froze and cracked, when new electrical service installed pump turned on and began building pressure, ran about 1 minuet until leak discovered, shut down pump, ordered new housing and installed, now pump kicks on for a few seconds and shuts off, after about 30 seconds I hear a click from the pump, I turn the pump on again and same thing, did I break it?

Reach4

Reaction score
If I leave power supply on, the pump kicks back on when I hear the click
It sounds like a thermal or current cutout on the pump is getting triggered. During the few seconds, is the pump successfully delivering water?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If I leave power supply on, the pump kicks back on when I hear the click

Are you sure your pump motor is wired for the correct voltage ?

If it is, The centrifugal switch may be stuck and the motor is running on the start winding.

Good Luck.

veggedout

Reaction score
Ok, so pump is primed, I switch it on and it pumps like crazy for a few, maybe 3 seconds and shuts off, I shut the valve off to the holding take and power up the pump and is short cycles about 4-5 times before it shuts off for the 30-35 seconds and then back at it, I took the cover off the pressure switch and I get a flash every time it cycles!

DonL

Reaction score
Ok, so pump is primed, I switch it on and it pumps like crazy for a few, maybe 3 seconds and shuts off, I shut the valve off to the holding take and power up the pump and is short cycles about 4-5 times before it shuts off for the 30-35 seconds and then back at it, I took the cover off the pressure switch and I get a flash every time it cycles!

Are you sure your pump motor is wired for the correct voltage ?

What voltage are you using ?

veggedout

Reaction score
Ok so I took the End cover off the pump and fire it up, I can see the centrifugal switch working as it should. The electrician wired it up yesterday so I’m assuming he has it powered correctly

DonL

Reaction score
Ok so I took the End cover off the pump and fire it up, I can see the centrifugal switch working as it should. The electrician wired it up yesterday so I’m assuming he has it powered correctly

You would think so, It he knows what the pump motor is internally wired for.

Good Luck.

DonL

Reaction score
Looks like a double pole 20 amp breaker

Same breaker and wire that you had feeding it before ?

The pump manual tells how it should be wired for 230V.

The pressure switch should be switching both L1 and L2 hot legs.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Make sure the little plug in the back of the motor is set for 230V not 115V. If it is already set correctly for 230V, then you may have a bad start capacitor.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might post a photo of your system including the pressure switch and pressure tank.

Could it be that the pressure switch does not have a short big connection to the pressure tank? The theory would be that the pressure switch sees a pressure rise, but the pressure tank lags a lot. Then they equalize, and the pump kicks back on.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sometimes you can just look at the little paper covered hole between where the two wires connect. If the paper cover is pouched out or split and a drop of oil is showing, it is most certainly bad. To check it correctly you need to take off the wires and the resistor between the connections and check with an ohm meter. With an analog type meter the needle will go all the way to the right, then slowly come back to the left if the cap is good. But hey a new cap is only 7-10 bucks, might just try a new one.

veggedout

Reaction score
Ok so to assume is to make ars out of you and methe Electrician hooked it up wrong, he came back saw the mistake and fixed it, pump works as it should, thank you for everyone who helped, have a great day

DonL

Reaction score
Ok so to assume is to make ars out of you and methe Electrician hooked it up wrong, he came back saw the mistake and fixed it, pump works as it should, thank you for everyone who helped, have a great day

Cool Beans.

Enjoy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks