Users who are viewing this thread

Mike kostas

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone! First time posting a thread anywhere. But I'm finally stumped and even my uncle who is a licensed plumber and educator for Boston gas and father another licensed plumber gas man can't figure this one out.
Aprx 4500 SQ ft home with 4 full bathrooms , large jet tub 1st floor ,person jaccuzi tub on 2nd floor ,shower stall on 1st,and additional shower stall in one of the cellars. Clothes washer , dishwasher,brand new navian boiler with super store tank does the heat and hot water.
Yes lots of appliances. We bought the home in 2015 replaced the water tank and we'll pump week we moved in ,nice little surprise the owner left us with. Found out from the original well company that the well is a 20 to 25 year old 2" well 25 ft deep. due to money and finishing building the huge house funds were tight we bought a 300 Lowe's utilitech pump ,through some magical lube ,customized gasket and fixing by me we luckily got 2.5 years out of. This week I bought everbilt pump from HDepot. It burnt out in 23 hours lol. Got another one thinking ...maybe was built on a Friday afternoon.second one burnt out in 6 hours after 1 minute of clothes washer being on. So after 3 cold nights in the well pit I've got another utilitech from Lowe's.at least I know it'll last a couple years . When we will get a 4 inch well drilled. We have 40 gallon water tank with 28 psi, water tank has the proper equipment and pressure switch is a 40/60 .. well pump also has a pressure switch but it's 20/40 ! I lowered the 40/60 quickly to try and match the pump and not mess it up. My question is do I need 2 PRESSURE SWITCHES? Can I bypass the pump pressure switch safely? Or can I make both pressures switches 40/60 by adjustment? Also I know I need to raise the air pressure to at least 38 psi if I have 40 psi cut in.
Any advice will greatly be appreciated!!! Having a 4 month old my wife and women tenant and no water in the winter is nooooo fun!
Thank you in advance !
Cheers

Reach4

Reaction score
his week I bought everbilt pump from HDepot. It burnt out in 23 hours lol. Got another one thinking ...maybe was built on a Friday afternoon.second one burnt out in 6 hours after 1 minute of clothes washer being on.
Make sure that the pump is wired to match the voltage that the pressure switch delivers. You don't want to put 240 volts into a pump wired for 115, or vice versa for that mater.

With a jet pump, set the air precharge to 4 or 3 psi below the cut-in pressure. With your submersible in the new well, set it 2 psi below.

In MA you want to have a pitless adapter on your well, and it is better to have a 5 inch PVC casing. That lets you use a trapezoidal pitless. You can use a 4 inch PVC casing, but in that case, you need a clearway pitless, which lets a "4 inch" pump pass down.

The reason that you want the casing extended above grounds is that pits flood. Well seals don't seal well typically.

One pressure switch. They are adjustable within limits. Turn the 3/8 nut that is on the big spring to raise both cut-in and cut-out together.

To raise or lower the cut-in and cut-out settings while keeping the
differential between those two settings constant, adjust the range
nut. The range nut is the 3/8-inch nut that adjusts the larger of
the two springs in Models FSG, FYG, FRG, and Type G Pumptrol
switches.
Turn the range nut clockwise to increase the cut-in pressure and
counter-clockwise to lower the cut-in pressure. Three and a half
revolutions of the range nut will change both the cut-in and
cut-out settings by approximately 10 psi.
Adjust the differential nut if you want to raise or lower the
cut-out setting while keeping the cut-in pressure constant. The
differential nut is the 3/8-inch nut that adjusts the smaller of
the two springs in Models FSG, FYG, FRG, and Type G switches. Turn
the differential nut clockwise to increase the cut-out pressure and
counter-clockwise to lower the cut-out pressure. Adjusting the
differential nut will change only the cut-out setting while the
cut-in setting remains unchanged.​

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Hotwire past the pressure switch on the pump. You only want one pressure switch and it needs to be at the tank. Don't set the pressure switch too high or else the pump might deadhead and melt down. There is probably a reason the pump came with a 20/40 as it might not reliably reach 60 to shut off.

Set the air precharge to 5 PSI below the cut-in pressure. Start saving now for a proper well to be drilled.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pump "burnt out"? The motor can burn out, but the pump can only melt down. If you have the wrong voltage to the motor it can "burn out" very quickly. And if the pump cannot build to 60 to shut off as the pressure switch requires, the pump will melt down. For the pump to melt down the motor must keep running and running until the pump gets hot, usually leaking as well. Did the pump keep running for hours? If not you probably had the voltage selector switch in the motor on 115 volts and hooked it up to 230 volts, and the motor "burnt up".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks