Shallow Well Problems / Clogged?

Users who are viewing this thread

Elnino31

Reaction score
Hello, New to the forum.

Having some problems with a Lake Cottage shallow well with a single driven well point (1 1/4" galvanized pipe about 27' deep).
We purchased last year and this is our first time opening the cottage for the year.
Last year, we have problems with low volume of water. but for the most part we had water and no issues with losing prime.

This year, upon opening things up I was not able to build much pressure from the well.
I replaced the well pump and conections on the suction side have been pressurized with air to verify leak free (as best we can), tank looks good and is at 28lbs psi as recommended per the pump manual (same as old pump)and old owners writing on the tank.

Was thinking it was a clogged well point, last weekend, we pressurized with air, dropped an air hose down the pipe to shoot air in and drive the clog open. Also soaked the well in approx. 2 gallons of white vinegar for an hour and a half.... then repeated. Pressure improved a little, but we loose prime pretty easily when I start drawing water out of the hose. The water was a little dirty this time until we cleared it. The air pressurizing last on/off for about an hour before we tried the vinegar.

Not sure if I'm missing something or we are just going to need to drive in a new well.
Should I not give up and let it soak longer?
I really do not want to use the more caustic chemicals in the well. The neighbors are all pretty close so I'm hesitant to just start pushing chemicals down there..

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have already learned a ton over the years from advice and searches from this forum.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you get air in the water to the house?

Elnino31

Reaction score
It does seem like we are getting a little air in the water. Small amount of bubbles that I can see through the clear tube on the tank side of the pump.

At one point I did have a leak on the fitting, should be good now.

Are Nuwell tablets good? Seems like there’s mixed reviews.

Reach4

Reaction score
It does seem like we are getting a little air in the water. Small amount of bubbles that I can see through the clear tube on the tank side of the pump.
You said you were losing prime. Was that based on how the pump sounded? Did you have to prime the pump after that, or did turning off the pump for a while make things good again?

Elnino31

Reaction score
You said you were losing prime. Was that based on how the pump sounded? Did you have to prime the pump after that, or did turning off the pump for a while make things good again?

We were filling the pump to prime and filling the 1 1/14” well to the top, then kicking on the pump. It would build up pressure quick. I would crack the hose right outside from the pump (supply to house is shut off). I would bleed off any air that I could (50psi in the line), but when I would open up all the way, I would lose prime sometimes... or just get weak flow until it would slowly build back up if I closed hose. Leading us to believe it was a low volume from the well. Combination of sound and after opening the prime plug would lead me to knowing the prime was lost.

Things did improve after the air and vinegar. But I was told it from a local that it was probably just a one time shot with a 50/50 chance of getting it to clear if the well point is clogged.

Elnino31

Reaction score
With vinegar or Nuwell tabs, chasing with water is the key. Chasing with 5-10 gallons of water will force the chemical out where the problem is.

Ok, we definitely didn’t do that.

We poured the vinegar and let it sit. I may drive over there and pour some vinegar down and let it sit overnight at some point this week. I can try chasing with water

Elnino31

Reaction score
6 gallons of vinegar, with approx 7 gallons of water on top... and 1 more gallon of vinegar to top it off at the end.

let it sit overnight about 11 hours and had a good, strong flow this morning

Thanks guys!!!

Colorado Cabin

Reaction score
6 gallons of vinegar, with approx 7 gallons of water on top... and 1 more gallon of vinegar to top it off at the end.

let it sit overnight about 11 hours and had a good, strong flow this morning

Thanks guys!!!
When you poured in the vinegar and let it stand over night, did you close the cap on the well head or did you leave the cap open all night? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks