shallow well problem

Users who are viewing this thread

kevinm63

Reaction score
i just bought an old house to fix up. the well is a shallow well with what appears to be a new f/w pump and motor on it. we intend to put in a new 5" submersable at some point, but we would like to get the water working for now so we can clean paint brushes and things. the wiring to the pump had been cut so i ran a new wire to it. when i turned the breaker on nothing happens. when i close the points on the pressure switch the pump will run and push water through it however after 5 or 6 seconds it cuts out. i can hear a click in the motor. i release the points on the pressure switch. after 15 seconds the breaker? in the motor closes again and if i close the points on the pressure switch again we can repeat the process all over again.

any ideas?

kevinm63

Reaction score
Hi Gary
I had an electrician friend look at it and he said that everything was hooked up right. What else would make the thermal overload trip?
thanks
kevin

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A bearing overheating, a broken impeller or seal, bent shaft, or blocked jet, something preventing it from getting water... a short in part of the wiring or windings? If this is the one that only runs a few seconds, the shaft would be stopped from rotating. Something with the thermal overload circuit...

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks