Shallow well jet-pump won't cut-out; builds to 48psi, cut-off set to 50psi

Users who are viewing this thread

ladyD

Reaction score
I've been working for a few weeks to get my new shallow-well up and running so I can irrigate on my small farm. It is a 2" pipe, well-screen between 10 and 13', water table is at 5 feet. All piping to suction is galvanized and I'm using 1 1/4" check valve. The pump I'm using is an old Myers HR50S shallow well jet pump donated by my neighbors when they upgraded to a new well. It has a bushing rust welded on to the suction that makes the opening 1" and it has a 3/4"outlet. I've piped everything to 3/4 on the outlet side and after fighting through various suction leaks, everything is now tight. I installed an eight gallon pressure tank that is set at 30/50. I put on a new pressure switch, also set 30/50, but didn't replace the pressure switch tubing. OK. Now the problems.
-The efficiency seems to be low given my high water table as I am only getting 5 gpm.
-It won't cut out! If I leave the power on, it keeps on pumping and pumping. When I turn off the power, it shows a pressure of 48psi and will hold this pressure for days. However, it is set to cut out at 50psi! Lowering the pressure switch causes more problems (I guess then it can't pump against the pressure tank?). Raising the pressure switch changes nothing.
- When the pressure tank empties and the outlet is fully open it sounds a bit gravelly and there are some tiny air bubbles, but not a lot (seen when filling a bucket).

I haven't cracked into the pump to look at the impeller and possible cloggage. I'm a bit intimidated as I've never done this and assume that I would then have to replace the gasket. That seems troublesome as I think I would have to drive an hour to get a new one and am rather busy. (are they all standard size?? do you need some kind of adhesive?)

Any and all help would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Btglenn

Reaction score
Get a new pump, its most likely got bad seals or a bad impeller if its old, jet could be clogged as well. Also when you alter your pressure switch setting you have to reset the pressure in the tank to match, approx 2psi less then the switch on pressure.

There may be replacement parts available but if the pump is rusted up it may be more trouble than its worth

Im no pro but have a little experience with my own shallow well

good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks