Shallow Well Jet Pump Recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a CSV in the house, the water pressure on the 1-1/4 line might be 150, for example. So you would need a PRV (pressure reducing valve), and probably a thermal expansion tank, in the shop if you want normal pressures there. If you put a 60 PSI CSV in the well, then you would not need the PRV. Come to think of it, maybe an underwater CSV should be a 70 PSI unit to allow for the rise out of the well.

We presume there is not much altitude change between shop, house, and well top.

HiQ

Reaction score
Ahh.. I'm too used to the jet pump setup where anything after the pump is 40-60psi.

So I can get away with the switched wire from the house with the pside-kick in the house as long as I'm not tee'ing off the line anywhere.

Otherwise, as you said, the better option might be a CSV right after the sub in the well and then a small pressure tank in the house? I would then be able to tee off the line anywhere after the CSV (before the pressure tank) and be fine?

Reach4

Reaction score
To be more exact, you would be able to tee off the line anywhere after the CSV (before or after the pressure tank) and be fine. Of course if you are using a pside-kick the CSV is right together with the pressure tank.

If you ever wanted to add water to the shop, a PRV is not a big deal. A lot of people with city water have to have a PRV. It may be that running higher pressure water to a shop would be OK. I am not saying it is OK, but it would seem to let you have a pressure washer with no pressure washer. Of course the normal hoses etc are not designed for such high pressures.

Actually I am not sure what I was looking at when I said 150. Actually I now think it would be less, but I would expect over 100 at times.

HiQ

Reaction score
Okay so it'd make the most sense to put the CSV in the well right after the pump and then just have a small 4.5G pressure tank in the house? That'd give me the most flexibility in the future as long as there is no issue with having the CSV in the well or actual water.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
We have a new Pside-Kick kit called the PK125. This kit utilizes the CSV125 valve that can be installed in the well, even submerged, or anywhere before the first water line tees off. In this way the little pressure tank and pressure switch can be at the main house, or any other building on the property and you can install hydrants or tee off the main lines anywhere you want water.

It is not the pump that will freeze, but any piece of pipe or fitting that is not below the frost line for your area.
pk125 applications.jpg

Govangro

Reaction score
My favorite would be a Goulds J5S Shallow Well Jet Pump, 115/230 volt, 1/2 hp. I like the higher pressure these pumps can build. Your 1 1/4HP is cycling on and off while taking shower. The larger the pump, the faster it would cycle, which is not good for the pump.

The shower pressure would be much stronger if it had a constant 50 PSI, than when cycling back and forth between 40 and 58. So if you use a Cycle Stop Valve to hold a constant 50 PSI, you can use as large a pump as you want. The CSV will not let the pump cycle, and the shower pressure will be greatly improved.

A larger pump is good for times when you need more water. But when just using a small amount like a shower, the larger the pump the worse the cycling, unless you have a CSV.

I would use a J10S with a CSV1A set for a constant 55 PSI and a 40/60 pressure switch setting.
Lool more here: https://terrylove.com/best-jet-pumps/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks