Shallow Well Jet Pump Priming issues :-/?

Users who are viewing this thread

serik

Reaction score
Hi folks, first time poster here so if I sound or act like a newbie, i apologize in advance.

Ive had trouble for a few years now getting my Craftsman 1/2 Horse shallow well jet pump to prime in the beginning of the year. Ive read a few tutorials on priming and some past posts here and theyre not a ton of help because on my pump the check valve is built right into the pump housing. Is there any special tricks to getting these babies to prime? It usually takes me about 10 gallons of lake water and a lot of cursing to get her going every year and would prefer to forego that part when i go open up my cabin for Fishing Opener Tomorrow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Donnie Anderson
Har Mar Lock & Service Center
Roseville, MN

Speedbump

Reaction score
You could buy a real pump with out the check valve built in. I think you will find that the valve will unscrew from that Sears pump so you can put a fitting in there to attach to your suction line. You may already have a check valve in the well, so you wouldn't have to install one elsewhere. Then you should be able to fill the pump and the suction line before turning it on. The prime should happen almost instantly.

bob...

serik

Reaction score
thanks for the advice, i was thinking that might work. The sears pump is the result of my Father's lack of online auction skills as he is the one who purchased it. Ill give it a try this weekend, and if anyone else has any ideas im open to those as well.

Thanks Again ;-)

Raucina

Reaction score
I wouldnt knock dad too much. Some of those pumps can last a very long time. I would tee in a pipe on the suction side and upsize it to 2" so you have a big hole to pour water in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks