Shallow well jet pump failing to reach cutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Jrstevens

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a STA-RITE (model SNE-L, 1HP) shallow well jet pump that is progressively getting worse at reaching its cutoff pressure. The pump was purchased in May'14. The pressure switch was left at its default setting (30/50 I believe). The pressure switch had to be turned down in April'16 and further again last night in order to reach cutoff (otherwise it just continues to run endlessly). The original pressure switch was replaced in April'16 as part of the troubleshooting effort but the behavior did not change.

I don't think the well was ever done properly (installed by the builder in 2009, who is now out of business). When the pump was new and able to reach the default cutoff, the sediment filter would always have sand at the bottom of the container when it came time to change the filter. Even with a 1 micron filter, it doesn't seem to catch everything as my downstream softener head seems to get grit in the mechanisms. So perhaps I need a new well, which I can look into. Regarding the pump problem, is this potentially due to the sand corruption? If so, what part of the pump is actually failing? I noticed there are rebuild kits that include a new impeller, diffuser, seal, and gasket, such as this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/STA-RITE-SNE-HND-ANE-1-HP-PUMP-OVERHAUL-KIT-/282343959621). Installation seems pretty straight forward with perhaps disconnecting/reconnecting the plumbing & wiring being the most labor intensive part. Any thoughts on the rebuild kit restoring the pump's ability to reach higher cutoff pressures? I would love to get at least 40/60.

Jrstevens

Reaction score
Thank you both for the feedback. I had to turn down the pressure switch even further shortly after posting, so that is the 3rd time.

Cleaning the nozzle/jet/venturi - It is interesting that the owner's manual PDF does not explicitly label the clean-out port on the SN series part diagram, only the HN series. I'm assuming it is the same though. I'll try removing the bolt just below the suction line and running a coat hanger through tomorrow morning.

Suction leak - Is it common for a leak to develop & worsen over time without otherwise having disturbed anything?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the jet is clogged it will usually top out at 20-30 PSI. Yes a suction leak can get worse over time. It is probably right where the suction pipe screws into the pump, so the heat and vibration make it get worse and worse. But also the water level in the well dropping or the pump wearing out can have that effect.

Jrstevens

Reaction score
When I removed the cleanout port bolt there was a solid wall of material behind it. It was so packed and perfectly formed that for a second I thought the port was a blank and the material behind the bolt was part of the cast iron housing. I poked it with the hanger wire and water began shooting out. After it bled out a bit I continued clearing the port with the hanger.

I'm going to buy a gauge prior to turning up the pressure switch, but I can tell the pump reaches cutoff much quicker now even at its current setting. It also is able to reach cutoff while running a garden hose, which it couldn't prior to the nozzle cleanout. Thanks very much for the tips!

TalonCap

Reaction score
I know this is old, but I owe you Jrstevans!!! I thought I must have a different model, it looked like cast iron. I'm in nowhere's ville and you guys saved my a**. Thanks a million.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If you haven't done so already, check the pressure tank that it is at the proper pressure.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It also is able to reach cutoff while running a garden hose, which it couldn't prior to the nozzle clean out. Thanks very much for the tips!
This is OK for testing but if the pump cycles too often when using a garden hose or for irrigation, it can shorten the life of the pump. Check this site out. https://cyclestopvalves.com/. This is Cary's company (Valveman).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks