Shallow Well Jet Pump and Long Run

Users who are viewing this thread

RGS

Reaction score
I have a shallow well jet pump in my cellar bringing water to the house through a 1 1/4" line of PVC from a brook. The rise from the brook to the cellar is about 15' and the total distance is about 225', the last 100' or so being level. It's working fine but I'd like raise the pump to ground level which would make the rise about 21-22' and the total distance would remain the same. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on whether this might work or whether the pipe friction over that distance would prevent the pump from handling that. I tried this a few years ago with an older pump and though it pumped water, it never could quite bring the pump to the point where the switch shut off the pump. Any idea as to how to make this work other than using a deep well jet pump?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Best to keep the pump as close to the water as possible. Raising the pump higher than the water level will cause more loss from the pump than pushing water up a hill from the pump. Shallow well pumps can only lift about 24' max anyway. A submersible in the brook can push water as far as you need and deliver strong pressure to the house at the end of the line. Sounds like you need a pump that will work with a 50/70 pressure switch instead of 30/50 or 40/60. Some jet pumps can make that much pressure, most cannot.

RGS

Reaction score
Best to keep the pump as close to the water as possible. Raising the pump higher than the water level will cause more loss from the pump than pushing water up a hill from the pump. Shallow well pumps can only lift about 24' max anyway. A submersible in the brook can push water as far as you need and deliver strong pressure to the house at the end of the line. Sounds like you need a pump that will work with a 50/70 pressure switch instead of 30/50 or 40/60. Some jet pumps can make that much pressure, most cannot.
Thanks very much. Yes, a submersible would certainly work but I'm not sure how to keep it out of the sand and silt at the bottom of the crock. Also although the crock is about 6' in diameter the water only sits about 4' deep in it. Always seems to be full of water.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks