Shallow well is drawing sand

Users who are viewing this thread

Shawn Prathger

Reaction score
I live in a rural area and have been on a driven, sand-point well for years. Recently, I noticed the amount of water available was gradually getting less and less. I decided it was the point clogging up. A few days ago, the pump motor burned up, I assume from the same issue.

Since I had the well opened up to replace the pump, I took the opportunity to drop a gallon of muriatic acid down the shaft to help clear the point. (It was recommended to me at the hardware store)

Now, with the new pump, I am drawing up so much sand that it continually clogs the pipes, the valves, everything. I take it apart, clean it up and reinstall, it works for a few minutes, but then clogs again.

Also, when replacing the pump, I added a large pressure tank. Before this, I had always used the smaller tanks that come attached to the pump (at Menard's... Simer)

Did the acid eat through the screen? Will the sand eventually go away if I keep cleaning it out? The well is in my basement, so pulling it up is going to be a major operation.

Any thoughts? Guidance?

Last edited:

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
The acid more than likely created a hole. You can try putting a 3/4 poly pipe pipe down to the bottom of the well and hook theppump to that. It takes the suction off of the casing. It's a shot in the dark and will only work if the well pumps enough water. More than likely it will eventually suck air. Worst comes to worse measure the old well and move over a foot or so and drill a hole in the floor and pound a new one the same depth. A new modern well will be expensive
but that's your call.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks