Shallow pump intake size

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank lammers

Reaction score
I have 500 gal. Gravity fedTank with a 1"supply. Can I connect 1"supply to 1-1/4" intake on shallow well pump and go from a 1" to 3/4 on outlet side to compensate for lack of volume on intake. Feeding pressure tank 3ft. Away.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the pressure switch is at the pressure tank, there would not be a problem.

If the pressure switch is at the pump, you would probably be OK, but is is less sure.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is much easier for a pump to push water than to draw water. Can you increase the pipe size to at least 1 1/4" or move the pump closer to the storage tank?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would be better to go with 1.25" suction pipe, even if the adapter at the tank is 1". But even if you use 1", especially with it being gravity fed you should be OK. What can happen is if your pump pulls more water than your suction pipe can supply it will begin to cavitate. If your pump does not cavitate you will be OK, but you won't know until you try. The reason I suggest 1.25" pipe is because you may want to go to a bigger pump one day and what worked for 1" may not be adequate with a bigger pump. When I'm burying stuff I like to oversize a little so if you need a little more you got it.

Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks