Shady Plumbing estimate

Users who are viewing this thread

erict

Reaction score
I got this estimate today, and regardless of how much I think I am being scammed, I'm going to have them complete the work because it is a rental and I don't want my tenants to be inconvenienced any longer.
I tried to lookup LED bend (or band pipe) as it states in the description, but couldn't find anything. Anyone know what it is??
BTW, in case your wondering since I cut it off, the plumbing company is rated pretty highly in this area. (Northern Virginia- we are used to getting ripped off)

Attachments

• estimate1.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 445

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wow!
All that for a "lead" bend replacement?
Assuming it's even bad?

Pipe that looks old, because it is old, could be fine. We install new toilets on old pipe all the time.
And if we do a lead bend replacement, it's less than $500
And like him, we don't patch either. That's for a drywall repair contractor.

replace_lead_bend.jpg

Here is a lead bend replacement that I've done. All it needs now is the 4" hub flange.

They really get over $2,000 for these on the East Coast?

Last edited:

erict

Reaction score
Wow!
All that for a "lead" bend replacement?
Assuming it's even bad?

Pipe that looks old, because it is old, could be fine. We install new toilets on old pipe all the time.
And if we do a lead bend replacement, it's less than $500
And like him, we don't patch either. That's for a drywall repair contractor.

The problem was there is a leak from the toilet from a condo unit to the one below. I pulled the toilet and did not see any leakage/moisture but changed the wax ring and reinstalled. He determined that the leak must be coming from the LED(lead) pipe. It was really corroded/calcified. Unfortunately, management says the unit owner is responsible.

Reach4

Reaction score
And for all of that, you are getting an all-plastic flange?
(Northern Virginia- we are used to getting ripped off)
They appear to be meeting your expectations. Did the building management specify the plumber? The plumber might have to compensate for the kickback.

erict

Reaction score
And for all of that, you are getting an all-plastic flange?

They appear to be meeting your expectations. Did the building management specify the plumber? The plumber might have to compensate for the kickback.

Yeah, unfortunately Northern VA is full of rich people that will pay anything to get things fixed. If it wasn't a rental that had tenants in it, I would have gotten some more bids, but in the interest of getting this resolved as quickly as possible, I'm going with this company. (The upside is that it is Veteran Owned).
Hopefully they don't run into issues while in the middle of the job that will jack up the cost.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Should read your condominium documents. By most condominium by-laws this would be part of the common elements and therefore an association responsibility and problem to repair. This is regardless of what the property manager says. You must be one of those rich people who will pay anything to get something fixed.

FYI, I have owned condominium property and have been on boards and even president of one association in Northern VA.

Cancel the contract, set your toilet back in place. Tell the occupants downstairs to contact the property manager. It is not your problem.

Last edited:

erict

Reaction score
Attached is my plumbing HOA Bylaw. Engineer said since the leak only occurs when toilet is flushed, there are no other units using that drain pipe so it only serves a single unit. By that, it looks like even though HOA is responsible for performance, cost is still the responsibility of Owner of the Unit served.

I wish I was one of those rich people. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, I'm not, but would rather at this point have this resolved instead of stressing too much. Believe me, this condo was not a great investment, which is surprising since it's near Tysons.

Attachments

• bylaw-plumbing1.pdf
    106.2 KB · Views: 285

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Is this something out of the deed and by-laws or something the association put out. Don't think a part of the by-laws would have a page number penciled in. Association cannot easily change by-laws or add to them. Usually takes about 75 to 80 percent approval of owners and sometimes approval of mortgage holders.
Note that it says, "Cost of Performance, not "Cost of repair".
Yes, I hate going through Tysons. I remember when Tysons was country. The property at the east side of Rt 7 at the beltway, was the first topless bar in VA.

Yes, I'm old.

This is not Chantilly Plumbing is it?

Last edited:

erict

Reaction score
It was in the bylaws.
I don't really want to post the name of the company on here, but it wasn't Chantilly Plumbing.
Hope it all goes smooth tomorrow. It's been three days that my tenants couldn't use the toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would like to charge like that. I would only have to do a couple of jobs a week. He charges like one of the gurus in a national magazine. A person asked him about being charged $325.00 to replace a fill valve and angle stop and he told her the plumber did NOT charge enough.

erict

Reaction score
To follow up, I ended up going in to work and telling my coworkers who said I was crazy if I was going to pay that. Since it was Monday morning, the urgency wasn't there and I had time to call another plumber. I didn't tell the new plumber anything other than I had a toilet that was leaking and I had tried to change the wax ring. His diagnosis:......... Since it was an offset flange, the wax ring I installed was incorrect. He had to combine 2 together to form an oval shaped waxring. However, the flange was damaged but still able to miraculously hold the toilet level to the floor. He didn't warranty anything, but the leak did stop. It only cost me $325.
I told the first plumber to pound sand.

erict

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the offset flange. Really bad design.
New plumber said that he would charge about $600 to change it if it failed. Still nowhere near the $2000 I almost lost!

Attachments

• offsetflange.JPG
    offsetflange.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 285

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Chances of that PVC offset flange being installed into a lead bend are not very good either. Glad to hear you ended up with someone who treated you fairly.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
In NYC we either use a lead bend and brass ferrule and then solder a brass floor flange to the lead piping or we also use 4" no hub cast iron "lead bend" with a CI quick set floor flange in newer buildings

Before saying someone is high priced you have to know the contractors location as the cost of business varies a lot do to locations and insurance requirements

We change lead bends almost every two months charging around $1,800 each plus tax closing the floors /walls by others

I carry over 5 million in liability insurance , I am paying my top mechanic $100 per hr and other mechanics receive $50 -$75 per hr depending on skill level and formal education

Even though the code does allow for plastic I never use it even for venting. So my material costs are higher and so is the skill level required to solder a flange and not burn though the lead

A lot of so called "techs" just hammer the lead piping over the flange which is highly unprofessional

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks