Sewer Water in the bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee J. Mathews

Reaction score
Ever since we bought this house in central Maine. We have been having problems with the plumbing, it has gotten worse recently. We have two sumps in the basement, both are tied into the mainline ending at the town sewer pipe. The mainline is 1 1/2 PVC. Recently the sump on the right side is pumping gravel and water up into the mainline and this water finds it's way into the bathtub. We then have to bail the tub out.
Before it clogged, the sump would actually clear the water out of the line, now it is doing the complete opposite.

Directly below the bathroom in the basement on the mainline is a piece of plumbing resembling a white canister, this is about 8 inches long X 8 inches around. It connects to the tub drain, and it has a couple of feeds onto other pipes. It also allows me to take the end off of it. I was wondering what this piece is called. If anyone can help me figure out what is actually going on I would really appreciate it. If you need pictures I can provide those too.

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a clog downstream of where the tub water joins the sump pump water.

If you have been pumping rocks into a drain line, that could have contributed to your clogging.

Pictures, yes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks