Sewer vent relocation

Users who are viewing this thread

Thetruck454

Reaction score
I have I beam floor joists that are 16” o.c. and run parallel with the sewer line.
Sewer main line is 3”
Sink is 1.5”
Shower is 2”
Currently the shower is an alcove and the vent line is in that part wall.
Wall to the right of the toilet is an outside wall. Remaining walls are inside walls
I’m doing a bathroom remodel in my house and taking the part wall out and making the shower a corner shower with two glass walls and adding a second sink. Removal of the wall means I need to move the vent pipe.
Under the two walls that also run parallel with the joists on either side of the bathroom they doubled up the I beam joist. Due to that I can’t take the vent line and jump over to get up those two walls. My only choices are the wall to the left of the shower or the right of the toilet. The wall to the right of the toilet is an outside wall so that would be foolish to put the vent line there.
I can think of two options for the vent line.

1. From what I can tell just simply relocating the line to the left wall makes it too far away for code, but will it actually run the risk of siphoning the sink traps?

2. Another thought is I could take a 1.5” line from the two sinks and go inside the wall in the cabinet and up that wall and tie it into the vent in the attic so I don’t have any siphon risk. That would solve the sink, but is the shower still at risk?

Attachments

• planned layout.png
    planned layout.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 205
  • planned layout b.png
    planned layout b.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 194
  • current layout.png
    current layout.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 203

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The lav can't be downstream of the toilet without being vented first.
The lavs if run with 2" can vent the toilet. Two lavs need 2" anyway.
None of those drawings work.

Thetruck454

Reaction score
The lav can't be downstream of the toilet without being vented first.
The lavs if run with 2" can vent the toilet. Two lavs need 2" anyway.
None of those drawings work.

That's interesting. The one that says current is how the house is.

Could you explain why layout b wouldn't work? It has both sinks tie into the vent up in the attic so their vent path cannot be plugged by the shower or toilet and therefore be siphoned.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks