Sewer vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

alabamatoy

Reaction score
Toilet is at end of sewer line, farthest from septic. Shower is next into the sewer line, about 6 feet away. 3-4 feet further is sink. Toilet makes loud choking/gagging sounds when flushed, and these sounds do not occur if the flapper valve is held open. Shower also drains slowly. I can find no clogs. As far as I can determine there is no vent until the sink, so the toilet and shower are unvented, flowing into a 4" line that is not separately vented. I cannot get to the shower drain or the toilet drain without major demolition, but the main sewer line is readily accessible.

So I am coming to conclusion that the lack of a vent is causing my problems (slow shower drain and loud gurgles/gagging sounds from toilet). Q1 - is this likely the right answer, or am I missing something?

Q2 - Can I use a saddle tee (like this https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-43791-Saddle-4-Inch-2-Inch/dp/B000BQY7NY ) on the sewer line near the toilet to add a vent stack? (yes, I know that running the vent stack will be challenging)/

Any advice or counsel would be appreciated.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Open the manhole cover on your septic tank first and see if it is full. also check the filter to see if it is clogged. Make sure your drain line is clear. that saddle is probably OK for a vertical vent pipe but you need to cut in a combination wye and eighth bend if your going to run a vent off a horizontal drain pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks