Sewer smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Harrygbh

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I used Crystal Drano on both my upstairs bathroom sink and bathroom tub and two days ago I I started getting sewer smells in that bathroom I don't know if I have a clogged vent pipe or a bad seal on the toilet there's no gurgling everything seems to be running fine there's no leaks and no other place in the house that smells any thoughts

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Crystal Draino should not be used in a toilet. http://www.drano.com/en-us/explore-clog-basics/how-to-deal-with-a-slow-running-toilet
Two weeks ago I used Crystal Drano on both my upstairs bathroom sink and bathroom and two days ago I I started getting sewer smells in that bathroom I don't know if I have a clogged vent pipe or a bad seal on the toilet there's no gurgling everything seems to be running fine there's no leaks and no other place in the house that smells any thoughts
It is more likely that the plunger caused the wax seal to blow out. The rotted out pipe, if that occurs, could be the crystal Draino. When you have a clog below the floor, plunging creates pressure. Wax does not take much pressure.

Harrygbh

Reaction score
Crystal Draino should not be used in a toilet. http://www.drano.com/en-us/explore-clog-basics/how-to-deal-with-a-slow-running-toilet

It is more likely that the plunger caused the wax seal to blow out. The rotted out pipe, if that occurs, could be the crystal Draino. When you have a clog below the floor, plunging creates pressure. Wax does not take much pressure.
Let me be clear. I did not use Drano in the toilet I used it in the sink and the tub I did not plunge anything my toilet flushes fine my sink and tub drain fine

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest isolating each area with a thin plastic dropcloth, with masking tape to help if needed. Let things sit, and lift each plastic to sniff to see where the smell is strongest. If the smell is from the toilet, isolate to see if the smell is from the bowl or the base.

Harrygbh

Reaction score
Thanks ill try that but still wondering what would cause traps to have water sucked out could it be a plugged vent pipe so when toilet is flushed it could do that or if I had a cracked pipe wouldn't I see leaks

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your vent is not clogged but more likely has a hole eaten though it by the draino,
need to have a Plumber come out and do a smoke test of the bathroom that will show where
any problems with the vents are,

of course then the wall may have to be opened to make Necessary Repairs but don't worry
you saved a lot of money using that "DRAINO"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks