Sewer Smell in Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

robert ramsperger

Good Point...
Reaction score
New member here looking for some advice on a sewer smell problem in downstairs shower. I have searched
the site for a solution but have not come up with anything that helps. Great site though, lots of useful knowledge.

We had a plumber install a shower drain next to toilet drain under slab on first floor. I built a bathroom with a custom shower over that work and began to use it recently and discovered a foul smell in the air coming from the shower drain. The smell goes away when shower is used however when the other connecting drains are used the smell comes back. I took the toilet off to watch the flow and the other drains go back to the shower trap first then eventually find their way back out the main. Every thing drains well and the trap stays full but
it always seems to be fouled with sewer water until the shower is used. One other thing, when I pulled the toilet there is standing water in the main under the toilet. My first thoughts are to run a high pressure clean out
down the main from the toilet flange because the main might be partially blocked further down the line, hence the standing water. My other thoughts are to dig and I'm hoping to avoid that. Any comments welcome. thank you. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• studio graphic.png
    studio graphic.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 191
  • drain pic.jpg
    drain pic.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 200

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not a fan of a santee on it's back to pick up the toilet. Poop will splat down and go two directions. I don't know a good way of saying that.

robert ramsperger

Good Point...
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of a santee on it's back to pick up the toilet. Poop will splat down and go two directions. I don't know a good way of saying that.
I know I am concerned about that too. Funny thing is we are not using the toilet until we figure out what is going on and we are still getting foul
water in the shower trap. I did a test last week- I wet vac the drain and the trap stayed dry until the other drains were used. The shower drain filled immediately and then found its way out down the main. Flow rate of drains did not matter- its like the trap is downhill from the toilet flange. I wish we would have isolated the shower drain somehow, the plumber who did the work is a good plumber. If we have to dig I might suggest cutting the shower drain behind the flange and going to the washer drain. Thanks for your input Terry. Here is a pic of whats on top.
Bob

Attachments

• bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 199
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks