sewer smell from vents when AC or furnace go on

Users who are viewing this thread

undecidedcoin

Reaction score
Hello,

There is a faint wiff of sewer smell when the AC or furnace goes on. All of my research suggests it's an issue with the condensate drain line. I've attached photos of what it looks like. Is there no P trap and hence sewer gas smell is being sucked into the vents somehow?

Attachments

• 20170430_124503.jpg
    20170430_124503.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 507
  • 20170430_124513.jpg
    20170430_124513.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 435
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 468

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello,

There is a faint wiff of sewer smell when the AC or furnace goes on. All of my research suggests it's an issue with the condensate drain line. I've attached photos of what it looks like. Is there no P trap and hence sewer gas smell is being sucked into the vents somehow?
Maybe one of your ptraps are dry or a floor drain

undecidedcoin

Reaction score
hi plumber69 thanks for the response. there is no floor drain in the basement so the condensate line just drain into a pump. how would the dry floor drain end up getting into the vents? are you assuming the condensate drain went into the floor drain and it "syphons" the smell somehow?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Condensate drains do need a p-trap, but, that will often evaporate in the winter once the a/c is turned off. If your duct supply/return isn't balanced and is leaking, it can suck air from any location it can, and that might be from an open connection to the sewer (one without a trap).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks