Sewer Smell from Toilet (Replaced Wax Ring But Still Continues)

Users who are viewing this thread

pavan87

Reaction score
Hi all, I've started getting a sewer smell from a second floor toilet. The toilet is rarely used and had the water shut off and the tank empty before noticing the sewer smell. The toilet is an American Standard 1.6 gpf from about 2003. When the smell was noticed, I turned the water back on and flushed it a bunch but the sewer smell still remained. Some days and times, the smell is worse than others.

I figured the wax ring may have gone bad so I pulled the toilet and replaced it with a Danco Perfect Seal Rubber 4.75-in-in Wax-Free Gasket. I put the toilet back, however, the smell is still there.

One thing I noticed is there was a crack and a chip in the closet flange. I've attached a picture for reference. Would this crack and chip cause the sewer smell to continue? If I wanted to install a new closet flange, does the old one need to be cut out of there?

Any recommendations as to what to try next?

Attachments

• IMG_5994.jpg
    IMG_5994.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 445

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A recessed flange like that is normally a deep wax or two rings stacked for a good seal. The cracked flange may be an issue, though you can also pick up a repair closet flange that slips inside of what you have.

neorest-install-03.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If you stick a 3 inch mechanical test plug down the hole (presuming that measures 3 inches), and the smell continues, then the closet flange or wax is not the problem.
black-oatey-sink-hole-covers-33402-64_145.jpg

Before using that existing closet flange again, I would seal that big fissure in the plastic. Maybe silicone sealant, or something else that can plug a hole.

pavan87

Reaction score
A recessed flange like that is normally a deep wax or two rings stacked for a good seal. The cracked flange may be an issue, though you can also pick up a repair closet flange that slips inside of what you have.

neorest-install-03.jpg
Would this sit on top of the existing flange or does the outer portion of the existing flange need to be cut out? If it sits on top of the existing flange, do I need some type of extra long toilet bolts?

How it is typically secured to the floor?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If standard bolts worked before, that is still what you would use. The extra washes and nuts hold down the insert. The closet bolts fit in the lower flange.
It sits over the existing flange.

neorest-install-04.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
The cracked flange may be an issue, though you can also pick up a repair closet flange that slips inside of what you have.
That 3 inch pushTite sitting atop and inside the existing flange sounds nice for this application. Totally bypasses the worry about a crack in the old flange. Comes in white or black. Since it is not glued, PVC or ABS matching is not needed.

I think that requires 4 inches of vertical before the curving starts due to the 4-inch long tailpiece. https://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/pushtite
neorest-install-03.jpg

Gets held down by long screws. Longer closet bolts not required.

You still might want to be sure that the smell is from the sewer, but I guess that sounds likely.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If standard bolts worked before, that is still what you would use. The extra washes and nuts hold down the insert. The closet bolts fit in the lower flange.
Is that photo showing a 3-inch PushTite? I would have figured to use some of the 8 countersunk holes for additional hold-down.

pavan87

Reaction score

neorest-install-04.jpg

Thanks!

Does the new closet flange come with the extra washers and nuts needed?

Do you recommend the Sioux Chief PushTite or the Oatey 3 In. PVC Twist-N-Set Closet Flange? The PushTite doesn't seem to be available locally while the Oatey can be found at Lowe's.

pavan87

Reaction score
That 3 inch pushTite sitting atop and inside the existing flange sounds nice for this application. Totally bypasses the worry about a crack in the old flange. Comes in white or black. Since it is not glued, PVC or ABS matching is not needed.
neorest-install-03.jpg

Gets held down by long screws. Longer closet bolts not required.

You still might want to be sure that the smell is from the sewer, but I guess that sounds likely.

I'm almost positive that smell is coming from the sewer. There is also another toilet on this floor and no smell from that one or any other in the house.

pavan87

Reaction score
Also, I'm not sure if I can use the Danco perfect seal again because it actually has wax at the bottom.

Would the Sani Seal be a good option for this set up?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks