Sewer smell confined to inside of toilet bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim165

Reaction score
Guys, just did a search and didn't find quite the exact same situation I'm experiencing. I get a urine/ sewer smell when I flush my rarely used 2nd bathroom toilet. However the smell is coming directly from INSIDE the bowl...not the tank, not the base where the wax ring is, nor from the sink or tub drains. Occasionally, my master bathroom toilet has the same problem. The smell does not permeate the entire house, it's restricted to the toilet bowl and, at it's worst will smell up the bathroom. I've scrubbed the entire toilet with bleach and hot water, yet the smell persists. I keep the toilets spotless at all times, so it's not a cleanliness issue.
Just a litte more info:
House is on concrete slab
Toilets do not rock, they are sturdily mounted
There is carpet in both bathrooms (yuck)
House is 8 years old.
seemingly no drainage problems, but I've just used the super-concentrated drain cleaner last night in case there are clogs in the system. I will check back today to see if there is a difference.
Otherwise, what else could be the problem? I'd really appreciate any insight!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try adding about a 1/4 cup of bleach to the tank full of water, stir / mix it well and flush the toilet 1 time and let it sit for an hour then flush a few more times to rinse out the tank better.

See if that helps any.

How do you know the wax ring is not bad?

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My first suspicion is to question the toilets being vented properly...sewer gas coming back into toilet.....?????

Jim165

Reaction score
Cass said:
How do you know the wax ring is not bad?

I'm not definite that the wax ring is not bad, but if it was, I thought maybe i'd be able to smell some of the fumes at the base of the toilet. When I put my head directly into the bowl while flushing, I could distinctly determine that the smell is coming from the commode's drain (I thought it was the water at first).
It seems to intensify just before the bowl begins to fill back up. No smell from any other drains in the bathroom nor the base of the commode..

Last edited:

Jim165

Reaction score
Randyj said:
My first suspicion is to question the toilets being vented properly...sewer gas coming back into toilet.....?????

Randy,
What am i looking for in terms of venting tubes, hoses, etc.? The only feed I see going to the toilet is the cold water supply line...Thanks...

Jim165

Reaction score
Cass said:
Try adding about a 1/4 cup of bleach to the tank full of water, stir / mix it well and flush the toilet 1 time and let it sit for an hour then flush a few more times to rinse out the tank better.

Thanks for the suggestion, Cass
I acutally tried this after I scrubbed the tank walls and bowl with bleach. I then filled the tank with boiling water to flush the entire system. After refilling the tank with cold water, I inserted a chlorine tablet. This has masked the smell a little bit, but the smell's still there...

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't think your nose is as accurate as you think it is.

Do what Cass suggests and if the odor persists, re-set the toilet.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The chlorine tablets don't do what a 1/4 cup of bleach in the tank will do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks