Sewer smell coming from shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I get a soap scum buildup in the shower drain that eventually develops a bacteria culture which stinks. It is not a matter of the trap drying out as the shower is used daily and not a vent issue sucking out the trap.

At first I was pouring a bit of bleach down the drain but that was always a short term fix. The long term fix I found was running a brush down it with some dish soap and water. I used one of those 3 inch brushes made to get dust out of a dryer vent that I chucked up on a cordless drill. This is the second time in over 20 years I've had to do this.

Reach4

Reaction score
The long term fix I found was running a brush down it with some dish soap and water. I used one of those 3 inch brushes made to get dust out of a dryer vent that I chucked up on a cordless drill. This is the second time in over 20 years I've had to do this.
How far through the trap does that brush go?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The culprit could be the soap. Some bar soaps are extremely oily and leave scum behind more so than others. My last home and my present home I've had a black slime built up on the PVC pipe. I've done the same thing, use a brush to clean the walls of the pipe. In both homes it was twice in ten years. I had to do the same at my son's house up the street. This black slime looks like a liner. It can can get really interesting. I actually posted one of my first questions on the forum thinking is was a liner to hide the white PVC so the drain looks like it is evenly black.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks