Sewer gas smell

Users who are viewing this thread

tom14

Reaction score
The smell is coming from the bathroom sink when I open the windows ---- there is a strange extra hose connected above the trap - I think that must be the problem but I don't know

does anyone know what the problem might be ? -------- I am attaching photos of the strange extra hose

sewer-smell-01.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
there arent any pics the hose is your condesate drain for a/c.
go outside sniff around open cleanout ? busted sewer line ?, wet ground? craw space ? slab house? Id have to be smart to know with this info. at least it only stinks when you open the window

tom14

Reaction score
https://sun9-27.Sorry, PLEASE REMOVE THIS POST. THANK YOU./c206824/v206824729/12eb49/2iGtOjx-Yjw.jpg

https://sun9-8.Sorry, PLEASE REMOVE THIS POST. THANK YOU./c206824/v206824729/12eb53/lq15BNVhIlQ.jpg

https://sun9-68.Sorry, PLEASE REMOVE THIS POST. THANK YOU./c206824/v206824729/12eb5d/9UJDQQEbyM8.jpg
the top pipe in this photo is from the hose - the bottom one is the drain

Apartment - slab floor - half basement half above ground

the smell isn't coming from outside - it's coming from the bathroom sink

I thought it was coming through the drain - but it also stinks in the cabinet under the sink --- and it's definitely also coming from the drain

maybe these photo links will work

also makes a gurgling dripping noise when sink is draining -- it sounds like water is dripping into a puddle

Last edited:

tom14

Reaction score
there arent any pics the hose is your condesate drain for a/c.
go outside sniff around open cleanout ? busted sewer line ?, wet ground? craw space ? slab house? Id have to be smart to know with this info. at least it only stinks when you open the window

maybe it's not only when I open the windows - maybe it's also bathroom vent - or heater / Ac

maybe it's some kind of air suction situation

I don't use the ac because I'm cold - it's 100 degrees outside - I open the windows to let some warm air in

it seems to have some odor when the bathroom vent is on and sucking air --- so that sucks because I will need to run the heater this winter - and it also sucks air

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sounds like you have a drain problem everything drains good? youve lived there awhile and suddenly it started today?

tom14

Reaction score
sounds like you have a drain problem everything drains good? youve lived there awhile and suddenly it started today?
drains fine - a little slow - apartment bathroom sinks always drain a little slow from my experience

no it didn't start today I've been here a couple of months and it's always been this way --- they shouldn't be renting out this apartment until they fix this - I get the feeling they don't like me or something - maybe thats why they put me in this apartment -

I got on the list for the exterminator and they had me take everything out of my kitchen, bathroom, and closet and cover it up - and then they didn't even send the exterminator --- so not only did they turn my life upside down and waste my time for no reason -- but they are also making me live with filthy roaches

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That strange hose is a dishwasher drain line connected to the tail piece of the sink. Opening the window and probably there is a breeze changes the air pressure in the home to negative and that is pulling air from the drain. It should not happen if the trap is properly installed and the drain lines are vented. The gurgling you hear is the trap being siphon dry and now you have air in the trap. Water in the trap is to block sewer gases. You have a blocked vent or the one of these apartment units (what I read from your comments) were installed without permits and proper plumbing. Don't rent the place. This lond lord is what make rental units not wanted in neighborhoods.

tom14

Reaction score
That strange hose is a dishwasher drain line connected to the tail piece of the sink. Opening the window and probably there is a breeze changes the air pressure in the home to negative and that is pulling air from the drain. It should not happen if the trap is properly installed and the drain lines are vented. The gurgling you hear is the trap being siphon dry and now you have air in the trap. Water in the trap is to block sewer gases. You have a blocked vent or the one of these apartment units (what I read from your comments) were installed without permits and proper plumbing. Don't rent the place. This land lord is what make rental units not wanted in neighborhoods.
there is no dishwasher it's a bathroom sink - maybe the hose is deliberately put there to cause odor - it definitely also smells pretty bad with the bathroom vent on - it is on now : (
I am in a 1 year lease - I have to rent it -- I've had problems with landlords before - life sucks for renters - my rent is 1096.66 - notice the 666

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
there is no dishwasher it's a bathroom sink - maybe the hose is deliberately put there to cause odor - it definitely also smells pretty bad with the bathroom vent on - it is on now : (
I am in a 1 year lease - I have to rent it -- I've had problems with landlords before - life sucks for renters - my rent is 1096.66 - notice the 666

The hose might be from a water softener? Everything said it could be an illegal apartment and things like plumbing may be hacked in. Online check your county or city website building department for permits (most do list them per address) and on the county property appraiser's website, you usually can enter an address and get the assessment value and description of a any property. If the records doesn't match your rental, then hold on and just before the least runs out you then report it to the county. If the roach problem gets so bad it can be reported to the health department. Some counties and states have renters rights and protection statues, you can look into that. Just don't let any landlord rule the roost. Too many landlords forget the tenant is a customer and as in any business, it must be maintained for safety and the well being of the customers and residents.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Is there an outside utility closet that might have a water heater and anything else?

tom14

Reaction score
Is there an outside utility closet that might have a water heater and anything else?
no there's a concrete wall and another apartment ---- it's a boiler system there is no hot water heater

the hose is the top pipe in this picture - it goes to where the toilet is

https://sun9-68.Sorry, PLEASE REMOVE THIS POST. THANK YOU./c206824/v206824729/12eb5d/9UJDQQEbyM8.jpg

the drain is the bottom pipe

Last edited:

tom14

Reaction score
so it's not just the bathroom sink --- the bathroom sink is just the worst --- probably because of the hose
the smell is also coming from the floor area under the kitchen sink - and possibly from the shower area as well - I can't really tell because the sink stinks so bad

maintenance said " oh yeah our tenants say they smell gas - they usually buy some drano or bleach and pour that down the drain "

the smell is really terrible and it's giving me headaches -- this apartment should have never been rented out

Last edited:

tom14

Reaction score
You have a blocked vent or the one of these apartment units (what I read from your comments) were installed without permits and proper plumbing. Don't rent the place. This land lord is what make rental units not wanted in neighborhoods.

they told me that there isn't a detector that finds sewer gas -- thursday June 25th @ 3:10 pm

the other maintenance guys before this one actually brought one

this video says there is

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks