Sewer gas smell - no water leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Colin

Reaction score
Hi,

My contractor just finished a basement re-model including a new three piece bathroom. When he roughed in the toilet he got his measurements wrong and the center of the flange is about 11" from the finished wall. Doh! To remedy this I got him to install the bowl and tank as I could not fit it. However, since the install I've been smelling sewer gas. I'm convinced it is the gasket, though there are no signs of a water leak? Is this possible?

I've ruled out the following:

1. Vanity sink -- trap is full and no odor
2. Shower -- trap is full, there's no odor and it has been in place for weeks with no gas smell
3. Laundry drain -- same as the shower as the trap is full, there's no odor and it too has been in place for weeks with no gas smell
4. Gas furnace -- just had a leak test and a repair (for a flexible line the "contractor" kinked up) so that's not it either.

Overall, my question is as follows: is it possible to have a sewer gas leak at the gasket but no signs of water leakage? Before we installed the toilet we plugged the flange with a damp rag and had no smell. Ever since installing the toilet we've had the gas smell. Makes me think that the contractor's install was less than optimal given the 11" rough in. I'm thinking that I might be better off buying a bowl with a 10" rough in requirement.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Colin

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Get the 10'" rough toilet, and reset the toilet with it, you can bet that sewer gas can enter the house if the seal on toilet did not seal correctly, this can happen and even if you have no water leakage.

Colin

Reaction score
Thanks Plumber 2000. I've learned a lesson here ... hire a pro to do it right the first time!

Cheers,

Colin

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks