Sewer Gas smell in baesement

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY Sparky

Reaction score
I have had sewer gas leaking into my basement for a while now. I have narrowed it down to the laundry room where there is a 4" clay p trap in the concrete, drain on one side and a cleanout cover on the other. I think this is the culprit but not entirely sure. Also on the drain side is my basement washroom (sink and shower), the laundry tub which the washing machine drains into, and my kitchen on the main floor which ties in at the wall before the P trap. The trap itself has water flowing through it everyday and is always full, the smell doesn't seem to be coming from the city sewer side.

I should point out my house was built in the 50's with additions tacked on over the years, but the drain it self is original. The drain lid is also 4" round cast with holes punched for draining, it used to have a cup mounted on the underside that held water until it rusted off. My guess is that it was for a gas barrier and it is no longer there. I tryed to find a replacement but had no luck.

This problem has been driving me nuts and if anyone has any insite or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks