Sewer gas smell from cold water tap

Users who are viewing this thread

Granger

Reaction score
The PVC is likely connected to a condensate. Pretty common in AC areas. Good chance its got sludge build up and could be a source of smells. Sink overflows too can get smelly.
I think you’re right about the AC condensate line. If that’s plugged up, how would the smell get to the other side of the bathroom? His and her sinks. Both stink

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Some cannot tell the difference a sewer odor from a sulfur odor. Sometimes it could be just mold. Since it doesn't happen at other sinks or shower, I'm guessing the problem is at the sink themselves.

Have you cleaned out the sink overflow's? Soap scum, mold and crud will build up around the overflow holes and it can really stink up. When water drain it will monetarily push air out through the sink overflow hole. Once it starts to drain it will suck in air. Fill the sink with water and cover the hole with your finger, then open the stopper. With your finger in the hole, the drain noise will be greatly reduced, remove your finger and you may hear air getting sucked in. About once a month I do this at my five bathroom sinks. To clean them remove the stopper and you can peek down the drain. If you see scum, pour water down from the overflow holes.

1668799460453.png

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
When duck tape is useful, tape over the overflow holes and the sink drain with the condensate drain only. Check for odor at the other sink.

Condensation drain lines, A coils and drip pans inside the air handler can also get real nasty with mold. If that is from the AC unit, see if there is another trap at the air handler? It is possible that air is passing the trap next to the air handler and entering through the sink drain. Should there be a backup of the sink drain line, waste water could backup into the air handler.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks