Sewer gas smell at kitchen island

Users who are viewing this thread

DMS

Reaction score
Hi: Am moving into my new home soon, recently started using toilets and washing machine and at times can smell sewer gas that seems to be originating from the kitchen island sink base cabinet. The plumber appears to have used an oatey sure vent valve, the sink and dishwasher are both located in the island. Can someone post a diagram of how a sink and dishwasher should be plumbed and vented in this situation? It's a tight fit in there but it appears the dishwashers flexible drain hose is connected up high just below the oatey valve, is this okay or could this be the problem. Plumber says all his plumbing is correct and there must be a screw or nail that penetrated a pipe somewhere, I don't think that's the case. I'm no plumber so not sure what I'm looking at or what to ask. Thanks for any advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink-single.jpg

Normally I would run the dishwasher drain to the disposer inlet.
Someone else glued the fitting on for the AAV here, Mine would have been more vertical. This was a sink replacement.

Oatey 39017 SURE-VENT AIR ADM VALVE, 1-1/2-Inch by 2-Inch, White

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks