Sewer Gas Smell after Roots removed

Users who are viewing this thread

gwgw

Reaction score
We were getting a sewer gas smell out of the floor drain in the basement.

This usually means our sewer line between the house and the street has roots building up. If you look in the clean out line at the front of the house, in the basement, you can see standing grey water when this is happening.

We had the line rotor rootered and got a big hunk of roots (and other stuff) out.

The line is now empty of standing water.

But! The sewer gas smell will not go away (it has been two days). The only place I smell it in from the floor drain in the basement. There is water in it and I have flushed it with lots of water, lots of bleach, even boiling hot water.

In past years this has not happened once we got the line cleared.

So, any suggestions? Wait a few more days? Something besides bleach?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
odor

If there is water in the drain, regardless of whether there are roots in the line or not, sewer gas odors CANNOT come out of it. Therefore, they came, come, and are coming from somewhere else.

gwgw

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer.

Thanks for the answer.

That does make sense.

I hope it just goes away. But, I have a feeling it will not.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
odor

Then you have to find out where it is really coming from and that can be vry daunting because odors move around the house and are only noticed when they accumulate somewhere.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Try running water down the drain. No doubt when you had the line back up some stankin water backed up into the trap of that drain. Flush it out!

gwgw

Reaction score
run lots of water down the drain

That is what I think, the drain got stinky!!!!!

I did run a lot of water down the drain. Some bleach, water, fabrize?, water, scrubbing bubbles, more water.

It seems better than yesterday, so we will see.

gwgw

Reaction score
Smell is GONE!

:)

Thanks for the advice.

I have put lots of water and various cleaner down the basement floor drain. I even took a toliet brush and cleaned the sides of the walls in the drain.

The smell is almost totally gone. You can't smell it in the house anymore, you have to put your nose to the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks