Sewer Gas Odor - out of ideas - Please Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

FSUBK

Reaction score
Hello all. The stubborn odor we have been experiencing in a property we purchased a few months ago has brought me to join this site. Here’s some background and what we’ve done. We are about to pull the trigger on a $500+ camera scoping, but figured I would come here first to see if any other troubleshooting could be done myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

odor smells like earthy gas - a bit of sulfur smell to it; located mostly in master bedroom and stronger in connected master bath. Most commonly smell it at the wall between bed and bath (vent stack is not in this wall). I believe it is coming from tub drain. Some nights it can get so strong it will wake us up from a sleep. Even with the drains closed, it is pungent.

we’ve tried bleach, draino, baking soda, running water for extended period of times etc. We’ve also confirmed that vent stacks are clear (no blockage) and also performed a peppermint test with zero noticeable leak at any plumbing fixture. We’ve purchased a cheap combustible gas detector which was too sensitive and inconclusive. It did seem to spike more in the bathroom than anywhere else tho.

House is all electric - no natural gas or propane and water heater is in outside utility room not connected to house. So that should rule out any other type of gas. House was built in 1970 is south Florida. Single story on slab.

The toilet next to tub does burb an air bubble when flushed and the tub does have a very slow drain. Toilet water does not bubble and water level does not change as we run sink or tub.

The bathroom backs up to another bathroom and the two toilets and shower/tubs share a vent stack which runs up the wall and out of the roof from the shared wall. The sink in the master (6 or so feet away) has its own vent stack. Note, when we performed the peppermint test and poured hot water down the vent stack, gas/steam rose through the other suggesting there are connected (I thought they would have been separate lines). I don’t have an appreciation of the horizontal plumbing/slopes/joints, etc.

Could a partial blockage from the tub to the main drain cause this? Could the ptrap in the tub be faulty or nonexistent? Does it sound like a leak under the tub? Is the right next step to have the camera scope performed? I feel like we’ve done so much to rule out a plumbing issue, but we may not know for sure until we do the scoping.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your first step would probably be best if you performed a smoke test. Having someone introduce harmless yet visible smoke into the sewer would expose places where sewer gases are escaping the plumbing system and entering your home.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The original post did not mention the water source or drain type. It obvious the DWV and septic system is all messed up, but if it is well water and the well is not very deep, less than 100', some parts of Florida (especially South Florida) it is sulfur water. His comments is it is in S. Florida and it smells like sulfur to him. I had an irrigation well installed. (Palm Beach County) and it went down to 83 ft and it was sulfur. The stink can get bad and on a windy day some neighbors may notice. Another is many old homes in Florida has a septic fields. A plugged up septic field will cause all kinds of issues.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive been in ca nearly all my life but spent my teen years in miami and still frequent florida. The humidity is unbeliveable to me and yes we had the stinky well water , nothing ever dries out, We had well, with septic , and no gas supply. Basic infrastructure was electric and phone only in the 60s and 70s and this was heavily populated upscale area.
I would recomend attacking the Sewage problem first. I think Op meant he has no understanding of drainage systems rather than no appreciation of drainage systems? Thats ok learn as you go Its normal and nessesary for the vents to breath with the drainage system blowing smoke down one will go down wall under house and can come back up another vent thats ok !
Gurgling slow draining no bueno

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks