Sewer Gas in Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Kim

Reaction score
I figured out how to download an attachment, but it says the file is too big?
It's only 2 digital pictures?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
save the stick line diagram as a monochrome bitmap

Kim

Open the diagram. Go to file, Save AS. Choose the monochrome. You'll lose color. Fine. This will give you a file less than 50k in size. Attach it. Photos later.

David

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
It sounds like the shower's (and tub's) waste water is causing the shower trap (if any) to siphon dry, while at the same time pressurizing the system downstream, forcing gas out the now-dry trap. This can only happen if there's ineffective (or no) venting downstream from the shower trap. I'm having a hard time imagining how I would construct such a system, but most models involve a missing, misplaced, or failed vent somewhere.

The fact that draining the tub also siphons the shower trap and causes the same problem also strongly suggests there's a missing or plugged vent somewhere. When you drain the tub and get the smell in the shower, does the smell ever stop? Seems it would continue until the shower trap refills.

I would continue to try to contact the previous owners in an effort to find out how long the problem existed, although no previous owner in his right mind would say anything but "Nope, never had such a problem", since the penalties for failing to disclose known defects are severe.

I'd continue checking with the contractor and local permitting agency to find a set of plans, and the local plumbers to see if anyone knows of the problem. See if your camera-guy can construct a diagram of the system based on what his camera sees.

As a temporary measure, or as a last-resort fix, check out:

http://www.trapguard.com/

which is a little flapper device to close off the drain unless water is flowing out. Don't know if it will fit/work in the shower.

Last edited:

Chris8796

Reaction score
To post a picture, hit "reply" scroll down past where you type in your message. Hit "manage attachments", then "browse" to find the pictures location on your hard drive.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
i looked into these non-P-traps too.

i looked into these non-P-traps too. All the plumbers i consulted said they still let some odor out. They said they aren't good enough to be considered serious.

Kim, you are still getting new visitors, and the old ones too. Please post your drawing as soon as possible.

David

Kim

Reaction score
I have the paint drawing uploaded but I'm not sure how to attach it.

Attachments

• drain drawing 2.bmp
    25 KB · Views: 1,049

Kim

Reaction score
BOB-

Did you get the part about the auto vent not sucking in the baggie?
Does it mean that it's not working?

MIKEY -

Could a non functioning auto vent be the missing or plugged vent you were talking about.

Mikey

Reaction score
I don't know anything about auto vents, but if it ain't working, it's probably not venting.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I have this right, the AAV should allow air into the drain when draining water. If I'm right, and you didn't notice any movement, then either the pipe to the thing is clogged, or the diaphram is either hard and won't flex to allow air in, or has welded itself to the seat. Course I could be all wet, too.

Kim

Reaction score
OK. So, if the auto vent is not allowing air in to the tub vent, then it could siphon the water out of the shower p-trap? (Even if the tub and shower are several feet apart?)

(The shower does have its own vent through roof.)

Please explain.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm in over my head...one of the pros should be able to answer that...

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
kim

i saved your bitmap, opened it on my machine, and drew in what you said about the shower and "venting"... Now we have to connect the dots. I don't know what you mean by venting for the shower... and why you didn't show it somehow in the drawing. Please modify my version, below, to help explain.

Attachments

• drain drawing 2.1.bmp
    25 KB · Views: 921

Kim

Reaction score
The drawing you added looks like the shower. I'm sure that where you drew the drain that there is a p trap that is under the drain that heads back towards the wall where the vent pipe is also located. The entire inside of the shower is tile, and I do not have a full view of the trap or the vent pipe. (vent pipe is in wall behind shower, drain is in concrete slab).

The lines on your drawing that look like the vent pipe would be behind the wall - the pipe goes up and out of the roof. It is hard to see it from the attic because of the slope of the ceiling, directly above the shower. Over the shower is a decorative ledge ( to put silk plants and junk over). Then there is a box (sheetrocked and textured and painted) that hides the vent pipe to the roof.

Attachments

• shower drain.bmp
    35.7 KB · Views: 922

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
ok, it sounds like you can't see much. Still, let's find out what else is on that line. How far away is the toilet, and the sink? Do you have any evidence suggesting what is being vented and drained on that line?

Kim, have you done the same bubble test in the shower as in the tub?

The only way for a smell to arrive is through air, and the only way for air to arrive is bubbles when the "container" is full. Good to know, good to diagnose.

You might find that the smell is coming out of the tub drain when the shower is running, for instance. To find out whether that is the case, is not easy -- maybe place plastic wrap over the tub drain and have someone observe whether it is getting sucked down or blown up whiel the shower is running.

In any and all cases, the hypothesis most people are running on is that somehow one of your P-traps is getting emptied when the shower is running, and that this is because of inadequate venting, and that improving venting will eliminate the problem. Another hypothesis is that the AAV vent is letting bad air out while the shower is running.

Is the bad air is coming from solely the shower's P-trap?

David

Last edited:

Kim

Reaction score
I know for sure that the smell is coming solely from the shower drain. The tub, shower, sinks, and toilet make a big diamond. (see diagram)

The plumber is coming back to check the auto vent. He said there are such things as defects. He did previously run a camera down the vents and there were no obstructions. He said the vent 45ed in a few places but normal.

I believe the sinks vent to the toilet and then out. The shower vents out. The tub auto vents. Thats about all I know.

Attachments

• bath sketch.JPG
    bath sketch.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 881

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
I wonder if the vent that goes thru the roof was installed on the wrong side of the P-trap...I had to redo a contractor's mistake like that just this week.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Maybe this is dumb, but would an inferred camera let you see whats' going on inside the walls? Crank up the A/C and turn on the hot water?

Jason

Mikey

Reaction score
Norcal - I was wondering the same thing, especially after seeing the diagram, which seems to show the vent on the opposite side of the shower from the direction of the connection to the stack. Not a smoking gun, though, and I wonder how somebody would make that mistake.

I'm not sure the infrared camera would show anything the visual camera didn't; the visual would reveal whether the vent is in the right place.

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Good diagram.

Kim

First, congrats on the drawing, since it shows so little, it is just right. Which way is "down" to the stack? Is the shower the last or the first, or do you know which 'unit' is first, second, etc?

Norcal in post #26 above mentioned a good idea, a possibility. A vent has to be on the side of the P-trap downwards towards the stack. Does your shower only produce bad air when running, and only when running and at no other time? How are you able to tell it is only from the shower drain?

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks