Sewer ejector/Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

woodman79

Reaction score
Hello I'm new here but was hoping someone could answer this question for me. Im installing a sewer ejector pit and rough plumbing a small bathroom in my basement. Before I get carried away with the project I want to get all the venting right. Is all the venting the same as regular or does anything change with a ejector? Now I know the pit has to be vented, does it have to through the roof by it self or can it tie into the main house vent? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
In an ideal world it would be better to take it out the roof,,, but many times this is impossible..
perhaps it could be taken out the side of the home and ran up the side wall ..

The second best solution is to take the vent as high as possible then drop it back down and tie it into
the sewer line ... This is not considered code but it works fine and is much better than an auto air vent
and sometimes you do what you got to do ..... It will work...

Reach4

Reaction score
I believe it is required to be 2 inch (or more of course, but bigger would be unusual). It can tie into other vents. I don't know how many can tie in together before you have to switch to 3 or 4 inch as you continue up. Colder/snow areas tend to require bigger pipes going through the roof.

woodman79

Reaction score
Thank you i do live in cold climate i have a 3" vent through the roof but when it come to the fixtures on the line like the toilet shower and lavatory same venting for them?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you i do live in cold climate i have a 3" vent through the roof but when it come to the fixtures on the line like the toilet shower and lavatory same venting for them?
Not all vents need to be 2 inches. That was probably not your question. It is possible that your 3 inch line is not technically enough to accept all of the vents. I am not knowledgeable as to what total vents you are allowed merge into a 3 inch line. I just happened to have some knowledge of the sewage pit requirement. I think the reason that cold areas often require bigger pipe through the roof is to allow for accumulation of some ice and snow that reduces the effective diameter.

You might want to talk with the building department or inspector, since some rules can vary from place to place.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
I know you will hear howls of protests from others but if you can get a tee in the stack up as high as possible
in the basement and tie in your vent it will work fine... Or if you cut a horizontal tee in the main sewer line and drop down from up high into it ... this will work ok too for a decent vent.....

The reason this is considered not kosher is because if your sewer were to stop up it could back up and down
into the sewage pit... This happens probably about as many times as folks win the lottery in your neighborhood.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Not all vents need to be 2 inches. That was probably not your question. It is possible that your 3 inch line is not technically enough to accept all of the vents. I am not knowledgeable as to what total vents you are allowed merge into a 3 inch line. I just happened to have some knowledge of the sewage pit requirement. I think the reason that cold areas often require bigger pipe through the roof is to allow for accumulation of some ice and snow that reduces the effective diameter.

You might want to talk with the building department or inspector, since some rules can vary from place to place.

Air is air... and a vent is a vent.... 1/1/2 will work fine ....2 is better.....

In our state all you need to go out the roof is one 1 1/2 vent for a complete home 5 bathrooms

it works ok.... I would prefer more vents but it seems to function fine...

Different areas require more venting but I have seen homes plumbed with the minimal
and they work fine even in the polar vortex last year....

if you are doing some commando job in your basement I have seen homes with only a anto air vent on
the sewage pit in the past... and that is the bare minimum you can do....

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mark, take a gander at studa's site under engineered drawings. They show exactly that except they add an AAV on top of the vent side which if you think about it, does nothing.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Mark, take a gander at studa's site under engineered drawings. They show exactly that except they add an AAV on top of the vent side which if you think about it, does nothing.

you are correct about that... I have seen that crap installed before and laughed about it...

it does absolutely nothing...

it would be better to run a 1 inch line and take it out the side of the home into the
garden for a vent over just an auto air vent....

It all seems to work fine till it dont.... then they call me..

woodman79

Reaction score
thank you again but what I'm asking is if the basement plumbing drains into a sewer pit i still must vent every trap right? Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
thank you just wanted to make sure nothing was different when installing a pit
I suspect that a toilet with less than 6 ft of pipe running right into the vented pit would not need further venting. I don't know if a similar thing could be said about a shower drain, but that would not surprise me. I am not a pro.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
More often than not, a shower and sink would be connected between the toilet and the connection to the basin. The fixtures need to be vented just as if you were plumbing any other bath group.
How challenging it is to get a vent out through the roof varies depending on the construction of the house. It is possible to tie vents into an existing stack, but it must be done above the flood rim of the highest fixture served, which leaves the attic as the most viable place in many homes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks