Sewer Ejector Pump for Apartment

Users who are viewing this thread

jyushinx

Reaction score
Hi,

So this is the situation:

I currently own a two-family home, of which both units are rented out. The bottom apartment is under street level, so it has a sewer ejector pump that handles all the drainage from the kitchen sink and bathroom.

My first tenants moved in January 15th. Since then, the pump has had problems twice. The first time was their fault as they weren't aware of what they could throw down the toilet and were using it to dispose of baby wipes. The second time however, the plumber that fixed it told us it was simply toilet paper and grease that had stopped the float.

So what I'm trying to do is lay out a plan of attack. 1) I am trying to figure out what I can do to prevent this from happening and 2) if it does happen, is there a way I can be alerted before we have sewage spill into the apartment (which has happened twice).

As far as the pump goes, I am trying to find out it's make/model.

I was looking into the feasibility of installing an alarm into the pit, so even if the pump does stop working, we will be notified and have the chance to take care of it before it backs up. Any idea how much an alarm like this would run and where it could be purchased?

Is there any type of product that could be poured down the drain periodically to help to break up any grease build-up? I was looking into a product called Bio-Clean which is apparently a natural drain cleaner that isn't as abrasive as some of the other things. Does this product actually work? And if so, would it be safe to use with the pump?

I also read that a grease trap may be a good idea. Does anyone know how much a small grease trap for a kitchen sink would run? And is that a good idea?

Aside from my specific question, any advice/information you can provide would be very much appreciated. I'm at a bit of a loss and the plumbers I've been talking to don't seem to be much help.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks