Sewer cleanout (and cover) in concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer101

Reaction score
How do I get a sewer cleanout (or the cover) so sit flush in concrete?

I just got a sewer line replaced and cleanouts installed. I'll be getting some concrete to drain water away from the house, and I want to make sure the concrete guy knows anything necessary before it's too late.

I've been told that we'll cut the pipes down (the cleanout plugs are just stuck on for now - they aren't glued on) and there's a brass cover that can make everything flat (I assume this is the product). No tripping hazard, nothing to catch the snow shovel on, etc.

Main questions are:
  1. When do we cut the PVC - before or after the concrete goes in?
  2. Do those brass caps screw into the PVC, or do you use a PVC plug and set the brass plate on top separately?
  3. Where exactly do we cut the PVC - make it so the threaded PVC receiver is flush with the cement, or cut it to 1/4 inch below the cement (which I assume can only be done before the cement goes in)?
Thank you!
cleanout.jpg IMG_2291.JPG
cleanout cover.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
1. If you want to do it after, you would need to put a styrofoam etc spacer around the pipe to leave room for the drain fitting. So before would be better. If you did cut and glue the fitting before, I think you would want to put in a threaded plug with teflon tape, and then add some other tape around the threads to leave some room. Just thinking it through. No experience.

2. I don't know about the brass. It does say adjustable, but that will be within limits. They do have flush PVC fittings. http://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-Pipe-4-in-dia-PVC-Cleanout-Plug-Fitting/3131265 But I know you want the more elegant Zurn unit.

3. You will want to measure the fitting. While I expect there is a standard insertion depth, you can measure it yourself on the fitting. That digital caliper you have probably has a little rod that comes out of the end for the purpose of measuring depth. If you don't have such a caliper, it is time.

DIYer101

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. I didn't realize they had flush plastic plugs as well. I'm fine with plastic - I like the look of this one below too, but don't know where to get it. I guess the plumber might sell them (the excavation guy is the one who told me about the brass, and he said get it from the plumber).
sewer covers.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks