Sewer cleaned, plus bathroom reno...now sewer smell...

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan Kelly

Reaction score
On Monday of this week, plumbers visited to clean out our sewer line. Our toilets were backing up, and in the process of snaking out the line through the vent in our front yard, they discovered tree roots and a plastic bag blocking the line. Since then, everything has seemed to function normally. However, we thought we detected a slight odor in upstairs bathroom #1.

On Friday/Saturday of this week (yesterday/today), I did a DIY renovation in upstairs bathroom #2. I replaced the old toilet and vanity. No leaks.

But, starting Friday, we started smelling sewer smell from the OTHER upstairs bathroom, bathroom #1. I ignored it, thinking maybe there was some strange reason that having the toilet off to begin with in bathroom #2 was part of the reason, and that I'd open the windows in bathroom #1, the smell would clear out, and we'd move on. But, this afternoon, after everything is all tidied up and "finished" in bathroom #2, and I aired out the upstairs, the smell has come back with a vengeance in bathroom #1. And I don't know why...

Is it something I did/didn't do in bathroom #2?
Is it something the plumber did/didn't do when they cleaned out the sewer line last Monday?
Is it something that occurred in the "toilets backing up" event before the plumber came last Monday?

I've read lots on the subject in the last few hours, and read about people removing the toilet and re-seating it with a new wax ring, etc. But the smell isn't in bathroom #2, so I can't imagine how it would be related to my DIY. And we haven't done anything in bathroom #1. By the same token, I can't imagine why the smell would be so pronounced after my DIY was complete if it wasn't related to it.

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. I am a relatively inexperienced DIYer...in my new (first) home for just over a month now, and this was the first project.

Reach4

Reaction score
But the smell isn't in bathroom #2, so I can't imagine how it would be related to my DIY. And we haven't done anything in bathroom #1.
In bathroom #1, run the tub or shower for 30 seconds, and run the sink faucet for 30 seconds to fill the traps. Do that once per month or more if you seldom use bathroom #1.

Also flush the toilet in bathroom #1 at least once per month, although you could look in the toilet to see if the water had evaporated down.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks