Users who are viewing this thread

Shane

Reaction score
I am trying to help sort out a sewer issue in a renovation project. The pictures show the general layout. Working left to right, (2) water closets/sinks enter the double wye which was later changed to the second picture to try and alleviate the problem. The next double wye picks up a shower and a tub and then everything exits to the right. The main line is 3" PVC and the longest run is approximately 15 ft with a slope of ~1//8"/ft which appears to meet the codes. The problem occurs at the beginning where the water backflows up the opposing line ~3 ft and then slowly drains down. Each fixture is vented. There are 12 fittings along the trunk due to the joist direction relative to the trunk line

Is it as simple as increasing the fall to 1/4"/ft? Are there frictional forces from each of the fittings that need to be accounted for some how? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• Drain Line.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
  • Drain Line with wye.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 112

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
run a camera or snake it. 1/8th inch should flow I never run 1/8th if I dont have to. not too much detail Has it plugged up one or twice in a year ? or its just a few days or imediate problem? Somebody drop something down a pipe 1 1/2' or 2 inch fitting inside there a lot can happen a litle cut off piece of wood dropped down a closet bend

Reach4

Reaction score
Where is blockage?

If the center of the double wye at B was extended outside, you could run a snake in there.

img_3.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like the fitting at N could be a regular 90 instead of a long sweep. Is that the case?

Shane

Reaction score
Here's a little more information.

The blockage is occurring around "D". I agree, it is a pretty flat line. Here's another picture of the last 90 as well as some still shots from the camera. The problem occurs at the beginning where the water backflows up the opposing line towards the other toilet. The camera entered system from A and the flush came from C. The backflow goes~3 ft (back up A) and then slowly drains down but leaves the solids behind

Thanks

Attachments

• Last 90 in Drain Line.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 103
  • flush entering dbl wye.pdf
    273.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Other side of dbl wye half filled with water.pdf
    258.1 KB · Views: 104
  • flush draining from pipe.pdf
    259.4 KB · Views: 117

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the 2 inch lines entering double wye can run constantly no back up? looks l;ike a long sweep at N, Shane says the stoppage begins at D .
Shane in your pictures with the first post it looked like you took the double wye out ? and you said water goes up the other branch even with double wye removed?

Reach4

Reaction score
What is on the middle double-whe input at B? If a threaded cleanout, maybe you could drill a hole thru the sillplate and insert a pipe with an adapter that threads into that wye and gives an outside cleanout access. I am not sure how practical this would be.

An outside cleanout could make the lack of slope less painful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks