Sewage Pump System Question

Users who are viewing this thread

natureboy27

Reaction score
Need help in diagnosing a sewage pump issue.

My sewage pump have 3 floats (lower float switch, upper float switch, alarm float switch). All 3 of the float switches have been tested successfully. The pump will NOT turn on when only the upper float switch is in an up position. The pump will turn "on" when both of my lower and upper float switches are in an up position.

My problem is that the pump turn "off" when only the upper float switch is in a "down" position. The lower float switch is still in an "up" position. I know the pump suppose to turn off when both float switches need to be in a down position so that it could remove more wastewater out of the tank. Does anyone know what cause it to turn off when only 1 float switch (upper) is in a down position?

Thanks in advance.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My problem is that the pump turn "off" when only the upper float switch is in a "down" position.
What is the range in inches between the upper float "on" and "off"? Depending on where in the septic system the pump is, it may not draw down the level by much.
How did you come to the conclusion that it is a problem and not design intent? I suggest you check with the manufacturer.

natureboy27

Reaction score
What is the range in inches between the upper float "on" and "off"? Depending on where in the septic system the pump is, it may not draw down the level by much.
How did you come to the conclusion that it is a problem and not design intent? I suggest you check with the manufacturer.

The distance for the upper float is about 3 1/2 inches. The distance between the upper float and lower float is about 24 inches. The reason I know both floats need to in a down position to turn off is that I have to replace the lower float couple years ago.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The distance for the upper float is about 3 1/2 inches.
How long does the pump run to drop the level 3 1/2 inches? Maybe this how it is intended. Maybe the lower float is a safety just like the uppermost float.
Where is this pump? Is it pumping from the septic tank to the drain field? Septic tanks are meant to be near the full level all the time.

natureboy27

Reaction score
How long does the pump run to drop the level 3 1/2 inches? Maybe this how it is intended. Maybe the lower float is a safety just like the uppermost float.
Where is this pump? Is it pumping from the septic tank to the drain field? Septic tanks are meant to be near the full level all the time.
I have figured it out why my pump turn off so fast. I have the lower and upper floats switches wired backward. Now the pump will turn on when both floats are in a up position and turn off when both are in down position. Thanks LLigetfa, I just need another pair of eyes on it and your questions did took me to the manual. After looking through the manufacture wiring diagram, I see what I did wrong. Thank you for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks