Sewage pump basin size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Shawndh

Hack of All Trades
Reaction score
I just ordered a Zoeller kit from irawoods.com with a 24" x 36" basin. Can someone tell me how many gallons that size relates to? Irawoods sales person didn't seem to know, but we both know that the "18 x 24" is a 30 gal basin. I wanted something a little larger than a 30 gal because this system will be supporting a tub, separate shower, washing maching, sink, dishwasher, and commode for everyday use (one person). I've heard that if the basin is too small, the pump can prematurely burn out. So I just opted for the biggest basin they offered with a kit.
http://www.irawoods.com/Zoeller-912...ge-System-BN266-Pump-PSF-Deluxe-Basin-w-Alarm

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
24" (diameter) * 36" (height):

V=H*pi*D^2/4 = 36*pi*(24)^2/4 = 16,286 cuin = 9.425 cuft

9.425 cuft * 7.4805 gal/cuft = 70.5 gallons

This is an approximation assuming a cylindrical shape and does not take into account the volume that the pump/piping takes up. It should be pretty close to the actual volume, though.

On the 18x24, I get 26.4 gallons using these assumptions. I assume that the dimensions listed are D x H.

Shawndh

Hack of All Trades
Reaction score
Wow! I was thinking it would be more like 50 gallons. Hope we don't reach China trying to dig a hole big enough for it.

Well, it's only 3ft deep, so I guess it's about right. 2ft deep just doesn't seem large enough. By my calculations, I'm coming up with about 60 gallons, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Last edited:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Yep. It is just over the external dimensions of a 55 gallon drum. The inside of a 55 gallon is a bit smaller (compared to the outside dimensions) mainly due to having a dome-shaped bottom (typically) instead of flat.

In the picture, it looks like it tapers towards the bottom, so it might be smaller than what I calculated. I would guess that the actual volume is somewhere between 60 gallons and the 70.5 gallon number I listed previously.

If you want a more exact number, you can post some additional measurements when you get it. The best way would be to actually test it (fill with 5 gallon buckets water and then switch to 1 gallon jugs when it is close to full). Keep track of what it takes to fill it and you should have a very accurate number.

Shawndh

Hack of All Trades
Reaction score
Yep. It is just over the external dimensions of a 55 gallon drum. The inside of a 55 gallon is a bit smaller (compared to the outside dimensions) mainly due to having a dome-shaped bottom (typically) instead of flat.

In the picture, it looks like it tapers towards the bottom, so it might be smaller than what I calculated. I would guess that the actual volume is somewhere between 60 gallons and the 70.5 gallon number I listed previously.

If you want a more exact number, you can post some additional measurements when you get it. The best way would be to actually test it (fill with 5 gallon buckets water and then switch to 1 gallon jugs when it is close to full). Keep track of what it takes to fill it and you should have a very accurate number.

Thanx for your help. I guess it's safe to have a larger pit than to be stuck with a pit that's too small. I can always adjust the float switch and I'm sure I have the 24in diameter of room for the pit. So I guess it will be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks