Sewage/Plumbing backup

Users who are viewing this thread

cmc

Reaction score
Hi Pewterpower,

Thanks for your message! Wow, what a nightmare you've been through. I'm glad that it finally got solved for you. Took them long enough.

I appreciate your advice, especially because of the 2 yr warranty thing. I am documenting everything.

Thanks again!

cmc

Reaction score
toolaholic said:
insist on getting a tape of your sewer when it's camered. Be present . and have the tech do a running dialog on the footage about swales, standing water, and foot locations at suspect problems ect. you keep the tape, I'ts evedence :rolleyes: good luck Tool :rolleyes:

Hi toolaholic,

Thanks for your post! Although I don't have a copy of a tape, I have watched it when one of the plumbers put the camera down the first time. He explained everything he was looking at. He's the one who said that there was nothing wrong with the inside plumbing, and he works for the company that now won't come out "because it's not their problem".

I do have all of my phones messages that were left for me over time, by the builder's warranty office, with the information that they've been given. It may not be a tape, but it might help.

Thanks again!

cmc

Reaction score
Another update

I talked to the supervisor plumber today and asked about the toilet paper he said was causing it. I asked why if he was convinced that was the problem, why he added an air relief valve. He said that he wasn't sure if it was the toilet paper, so he installed the valve.....and that if I have no more problems, it must be a venting issue. But that if it happens again, it must be the toilet paper I'm using.

However, he did say something more, that I found completely ridiculous. Because I live alone and there aren't many people using the toilets all the time, it gives the pipes time to dry out, which then makes it easier for the toilet paper to stick to the pipes.....hence, causing the backup.

Am I an idiot (don't answer that ;), or does that not sound like a cop out?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
my theory----its not a venting isssue

The Plumber is blowing smoke up your a//......

are you on a slab or a crawl space or a basement???

If you can physically see the PVC plumbing --go down into the crawl

space and look for a place where it makes a drastic change in direction.....

most likely the " dumb ass plumber " that did the plumbing in the first

place probably put an elbow in the horizontal line somewhere. and made a

drastic 90 degree turn to the main 3 inch drain line....

or he laid a 3 inch TEE on its side and its hitting the tee and bunching up.

the toilet paper simply hits that right turn and bunches up, and then

the weight of the water finally pushes it through.....after it

floods you completely out.........

I ran into this with a 4 inch line once on a horizontal run

where the plumber made a turn with a 4 inch elbow instead of a

coouple of long sweep 45s .....The 4 inch line backed up all the time at that elbow........

I had to come out and cut out that elbow
and install a couple of street 45s into the line

no more problems......

and you probably have only a 3 inch line

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

see if their is not something like that in the crawl space....

Now if you are on a slab ....then you are probably screwed......

you will have to have some other place come out with a camera
and find out if they actually put an ELBOW or TEE down in the concrete on a
horizontal run.........which will eventually have to be torn out.... OUCH!!!

the original plumber isnt going to admit to it with you standing there
watching him run that camera....

they want to get out past their "warranty period" before being caught.

and they are not going to tell you if they had to make a drastic turn with that camera equipment to get from your toilet out of the house....

if its there ----BELIEVE ME, THEY ALREADY KNOW IT
and are keeping their mouths shut---- hopeing you go away....

if you are on a slab you will probably have to get
someone impartial to scope the whole line from your laundry all the
way out to the street....

In INDY call just drains 291-2777.....

if they find a 90 bend then you are going to have to sue the plumber
and the builder....to make it right.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING ......

the sooner the better..... most plumbers move from job to job

BI- MONTHLY and whatever "Delbert Dumb Butt"

told you this spring dont mean anything anymore

be cause he has moved on...and now its their word against yours...

you better start jumping up and down........

line

Last edited:

cmc

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

I rec'vd your message, but unfortunately I'm having problems replying in pm. Thanks for the offer to call you....I really appreciate it. I did try earlier, but received your machine and didn't leave a message.

So, if a 90 degree elbow was installed, I'm guessing that it shouldn't have been? Or is that something that technically is within code?

Btw, unfortunately, I am on a slab.

Colleen

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
big troubles on a slab

sorry you got my voice mail....I was out lighting firecrackers

its your money,

and how you want to spend it to figure out what is going on......

you can get someone to actually scope that line and

take a video of it too ....for "evidence"

they should be able to tell you if thier is some sort of

bend down there.......

just ask them first want you want done.

and if they are willing to check it out for oyu...

wherre it goes from there is up to you-- your lawyer-- and the builder......

but I certanly would send some sort of registered letter to

the builder for documentation and your intent to SUE them.

if you find what I think you will......

If I am wrong,
the only other thiing it could possibly be would be a

"low spot" in the drain a "dip" in the sewer line

I will attempt to call you back

Last edited:

cmc

Reaction score
Looking for more suggestions

Yes, this problem is still happening....2 1/2 yrs after moving in.

This past March, the toilet started gurgling again, and knowing that it was just a matter of time before the backup occurred, I called the warranty field manager for my builder. He and the owner of one of their plumbing companies came out and the backup happened with them there.

The plumber said it's definitely a drainage problem, not a vent problem. He reviewed the tape I have of the camera going down the main line and he saw standing water and said that was a problem. Of course, this same guy reviewed the exact same tape a year before that, saw the water, and said there was no problem. I've learned enough about plumbing to know that is DEFINITELY a problem. Anyway, he said that they'd probably have to bust up the slab and take a look at the pipes....but not before blaming it on the type of toilet paper again. :(

Three weeks after he was out, his plumbers busted up the slab in the one of the bathrooms and found about 4 pipes with backfall....one of them was even in the shape of a V. They replaced the pipes, fixed my floor, and I thought everything was resolved.

Well, yesterday the gurgling happened again. A backup didn't happen because as soon as I heard the gurgling, I turned the water off. I had a plumber come out to snake the line, just in case there was a blockage, but he couldn't find anything. He even put about a 1/2 roll of toilet paper down and it came out the cleanout just fine.

I'm at a total loss and can't believe this is still going on. Nobody seems to know what is causing this. This guy says that maybe it's the suds from the shower or washing machine causing this. That the bubbles clog the pipe. Is this possible? If so, what's the fix for it?

Any additional insight that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Colleen

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
cmc said:
Three weeks after he was out, his plumbers busted up the slab in the one of the bathrooms and found about 4 pipes with backfall....one of them was even in the shape of a V. They replaced the pipes, fixed my floor, and I thought everything was resolved.

I'd have to guess they didn't get all of the problem, boy I feel bad about your situation...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks