Sewage pit problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Leesouthern

Reaction score
I've searched the threads here and I seem to have a unique problem...

I moved into this 20 year old house 6 years ago, and have just removed the lid from the sewage pit for the first time. It seems that the plumber couldn't figure out how to connect the drain from the main floor and from the basement bathroom & laundry through the same drain hole on the tank, so he hooked up the basement drain to the drain hole and made a new hole for the main floor drain.

It looks like the second hole was originally sealed with cement, which has since fallen out into the pit. I can see water from the main drain is leaking outside of the pit, and I'm pretty sure groundwater is leaking back into the pit too.

It seems I have two options:

1. tie the basemnet and main drains together and replace the pit
2. try to seal this hole somehow.

Obviously option 2 would be much cheaper and easier, but what could I seal the hole with? The gap is over an inch wide in places.

Can this hole be sealed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Leesouthern

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I've decided to go down the "patch it up" route, wish me luck...

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score

I moved into this 20 year old house 6 years ago, and have just removed the lid from the sewage pit for the first time. ....

What is a "sewage pit"? If you are referring to a septic tank then I suggest that you spend a couple hundred dollars to have it pumped out and maintained before it burps into your leach field and costs you several thousand dollars. Then repeat in 3 year intervals.

Leesouthern

Reaction score
Sorry, I guess "sewage basin" is the correct term. I saw "sewage pit" used on a different forum and I guess it stuck in my head.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
It's similar to this:

http://www.northernwatersltd.com/htm/other_products.htm#sewagesimplex

Only mine has a very large second hole cut into it to hadndle waste from the main floor...

My house is on a sloping site and the septic tank is on higher ground than the house, hence the need for the sewage basin & pump.
Gotcha! You have a grinder pump to the septic tank. Regardless, I'd advise you to pump the septic tank ASAP and in 3-4 year intervals. Good luck with the other totally separate issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks