Sewage backup into Operating Room

Users who are viewing this thread

Dr. D

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thank you for any input, and I apologize in advance for my plumbing ignorance.
I own a small animal hospital and am going through an addition/remodel. We just moved into the addition while the old building is being remodeled (old building is 10 years old, never had a plumbing issue).
In the past 2 months, we've had 3 backups of raw sewage into our new surgery suite. Upstream from the OR is a toilet, sink, and kennel drain; downstream, the 3" pipe ties into a 4" pipe via a Y joint.
First plumber blames tampon, second plumber blames an unidentified solid object, and 3rd plumber determines a back flow at the Y joint that goes upstream and downstream in the 4" pipe.
Contractor wants me to put in a toilet with a pump to pump sewage up and over a wall into the old building and avoid the new pipe all together.
I would like advice from someone that is not involved at all in the project. I have attached a very rudimentary drawing.
Thank you for any advice.
Erin

62207766762__46F8F6DA-84C8-4CBE-A48F-DEA3860F61B0.jpeg

Dr. D

Reaction score
It's been camera'd twice now. This last time is where they found water going both ways at the Y joint--up toward the trench drain in the kennel and down the main line.
The other option I've been given is to replace the 3" pipe with a 4" pipe, but that is obviously the more expensive and PITA route, and I'm not even sure that would fix the problem.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Sounds like back pitched and undersized waste /soil lines ..

A 4" compared to a 3" is not that much of a difference in cost and in the long "run" pun untended it is easier to maintain a 4" line with proper pitch

I recently had a job someone installed a wye backwards and they backfilled with no inspection.

They refused to come back and fix it properly

Dr. D

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I've attached a real drawing of the plumbing if that helps. I just don't want sewage backing up into my OR. The
supposed problem area is circled just right of center in the pic.
ETA: if it is a backpitch problem, would you recommend blasting out the floor to fix it, or just use a macerator toilet that would go up and tie into the old plumbing line?

IMG_8309.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's a pitch problem, then a pressure assist toilet may work as they have very good drainline carry.
Here is a video of a 1.1 gallon flush and they have the 1.6 gallon option too which would do even better.

I shot this while I was at their factory in Michigan.

If you do decide to redo the plumbing in the ground, I would get somebody out with a "Wet Saw"
A nice clean cut with no dust.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plumbing doesn't just back up for no reason. Either there is a blockage, the slope wasn't maintained properly, a belly has occured or a fitting has been installed improperly. How long ago was this work done? Is this all new work? The blueprints indicate to me that this was a professional job and I would expect it would have been done properly. Is there a recorded video of the camera work that you could post on Youtube to link here? My hunch is that there is a blockage in the line somewhere downstream of the OR which is preventing the waste to flow properly downstream. My gut tells me its a test balloon that was deflated but not removed.

I would hire a separate recorded video inspection that is independant of the contractors previously involved without telling them what problems you're having to get a completely fresh perspective.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plumbing doesn't just back up for no reason. Either there is a blockage, the slope wasn't maintained properly, a belly has occured or a fitting has been installed improperly. How long ago was this work done? Is this all new work? The blueprints indicate to me that this was a professional job and I would expect it would have been done properly. Is there a recorded video of the camera work that you could post on Youtube to link here? My hunch is that there is a blockage in the line somewhere downstream of the OR which is preventing the waste to flow properly downstream. My gut tells me its a test balloon that was deflated but not removed.

I would hire a separate recorded video inspection that is independant of the contractors previously involved without telling them what problems you're having to get a completely fresh perspective.
I would do the same thing, I dont have the gut feeling of a test plug in there but its entirely possible . something is going on and video inspection is the best only real choice . One time I had recuring back up our company was blaming the homeowner (new house) I went out snaked and camera found a piece of 1 1/2" pipe inside of a 3 inch line. got it fixed though

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks