Setup for pumping lake water for irrigation

Users who are viewing this thread

Cabin fever

Reaction score
Hi.

I have small area by the lake that I would like to grow grass and plant some trees. I plan to use an above ground sprinkler head connected by a garden hose and drip hoses for the trees. Can someone help we how I should set this up? Can I just hook the garden hose to the jet pump. Or should I use a pressure tank?

Also, how can I incorporate a timer into this setup?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

BrianK

Reaction score
I did what you are planning to do. I didn't use a pressure tank and just connected a hose to the pump discharge. I used a 1/3 HP jet pump. I did this because I wanted to use a timer to operate the pump so it only came on for about 1/2 hour every 4 days - automatically. I guess I could have used a pressure tank too but it was simpler to just connect the hose to the pump. I didn't want the pump cycling on/off and wanted the pressure to operate the sprinkers (I usually have 2 or 3 connected).
I wired up 2 switches to operate the pump - one called Auto; one called On/Off. The On/Off allow me to turn the pump on when I want it on (I generally leave the hose connected to the pump) and in Auto the timer is used to obviously turn the pump on automatically. This is not fancy but works for me. If you just want to do it manually, just plug it in. Works for me as I only wanted to buy the pump and not the pump and tank combo.

Cabin fever

Reaction score
BrianK--thank you for the suggestion. Is it ok for the pump to run for 30 minutes straight each time it's on?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pumps are made for continuous duty. They like to run, and it doesn’t hurt if they run 24/7. It is cycling on and off that is bad for them. You can use a timer for the pump if you run everything at the same time. But if you want to be able to turn on a hose or a zone valve and have the pump come on automatically, you need a pressure tank and pressure switch to control the pump, and some way to eliminate cycling.

Cabin fever

Reaction score
Thanks Valveman. In that case I will keep things simple by using just the pump with a timer, no pressure tank.

bala

Reaction score
Hi Valveman,

I have a similiar situation to what is being discussed here. I have a Grundfos 1/2 HP pump with a 9 gallon Pressure tank that is right by the lake. I have attached a picture as I think that the water should be going to the PT first and not out to the hose. It seems that mine is running all the time too....the white PVC on the right is going to the pressure tank but the first outlet on the left is going to the garden hoses. Should it be the other way around? PT first then hoses?

Mike Pastorelli

Reaction score
If you want to get real simple MELNOR sells a 1 hose timer called AquaTimer. Its 30 bucks at Home Depot and takes 2 AA batteries.. Very easy to water your fav trees.. Basically its a timed valve that you put right on a loaded hose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks